Topic: 0.90

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster

This is the first public beta release of Podium. It will expire on April 15, 2004.

Please note that some essential features are still in development. Especially the lack of tooltips will probably make it hard for some testers to get started with Podium. I decided to release this beta because a lot of people have expressed interest in the project, and I felt I could not delay a public release date any further.

Check the Future Development topic to see what’s cooking in the development lab.

To download the installer, click the link below. In the authorization dialog that appears, enter ‘betatester’ as the username and ‘beta’ as the password.

Podium Beta

I look forward to any feedback you may have. If you find any bugs in this version, reply to this topic. If you’re having trouble figuring out how to use Podium, put up a post in the Support forum. If you prefer not to post in the forums, send me an email.

Frits

Wiecher
    Participant

Just downloaded 0.9.
    Setting up Midi/Audio did not work properly!
    I tried to make use of the Asio drivers on my PC but after having pushed the Apply button, the following message is displyed.
    “Could not start 44100 HZ audio streaming”.
    I also tried to open project freebies.
    I did not install any of the plugins.
    I therefore tried to play the song, but nothing is heard.
    Do I really have to install every plugin?

Regards,
    Wiecher

jens
    Participant

I assume your sample rate is locked at your soundcard’s driver’s settings –
    what sample-rate did you use in other sequencers up to now?

Of course you can use sample-rates other than 44k with Podium πŸ˜‰

jens
    Participant

Forgot to ask: What soundcard is it?

If you are using e.g. a soundblaster live with the kx-drivers 44k
    doesn’t work – it is allways locked to 48k.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Wiecher wrote:

Just downloaded 0.9.
    Setting up Midi/Audio did not work properly!
    I tried to make use of the Asio drivers on my PC but after having pushed the Apply button, the following message is displyed.
    “Could not start 44100 HZ audio streaming”.
    I also tried to open project freebies.
    I did not install any of the plugins.
    I therefore tried to play the song, but nothing is heard.
    Do I really have to install every plugin?

Regards,
    Wiecher

What soundcard are you using? The only soundcards I know of that does not work with 44100 are from Creative. If that is the case, then select 48000 as default samplerate in the interface setup dialog. To make the freebees arrangements play at 48000, enter the properties dialog for the arrangements and change samplerate from 44100 to 48000.

If you would rather avoid installing the plugins used in the freebees project, you could try to import your preferred plugins using the Project Wizard. Then enter the map panel in the arrangement editor and substitute the example plugins with your new plugins on all relevant tracks. The parameter tracks will then not work as intended, but at least you should be able to make sound.

Frits

airon
    Participant

No access. I tried my login.

My system specs up front:
    AthlonXP 2500
    1GB DDR 333 RAM
    NForce2 Chipset

RME Digi96, Asio Drivers 2.05

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Try again. The server at my host provider has just momentarily been down.

Frits

jens
    Participant

as I allready mentioned there are soundcard drivers that allow to lock
    to a certain sample-rate especially the more professional ones
    (e.g. the Echo soundcards).

If the rme-drivers have this function you should know better than me though, Frits πŸ˜‰

(but I guess they have)

Wiecher
    Participant

Hi,

This is Wiecher again.
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    The soundcard on my PC is indeed a Creative (Audigy Platinum, version 1).
    Having changed the sample-rate property of the arrangement of Freebies into 48000 Hz was possible, but unfortunately if the play button was pressed, Podium crashed. This I tried once more and it crashes again.

What’s next?

Wiecher

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Hi Wiecher,

I just verified that I can play at 48000 on my system. Try temporarily to switch to the Windows Wave drivers for your soundcard in the interface setup dialog. If this does not crash then it is likely to be an issue with the ASIO driver for your soundcard. I would recommend that you try out the ASIO4ALL free driver. From what I’ve heard it can often perform better than many of the native ASIO drivers supplied with soundcards.

spoonboiler
    Participant

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Thanx for letting me try the beta. I love it. I have had no problems whatsoever. Smooth as silk, and I love the feel of it. The multi level mixer / track setup is so cool. This is one of only two programs that have worked seamlessly with my asio situation. Latency is as close to nothing as I could ever need, and the sound is absolutely great. Wow, I can’t say enough good things about this. I even like the project wizard, I may just keep using it, it is so quick and intuitive. I have not had to consult HELP even once yet. You know, I just had a feeling I was going to like this one, and boy was I right!!!
    G.

Donald S. Griffin
    Participant

With my MOTU 828 MkII set to ASIO Motu Firewire the play button in Podium did nothing. Even when I created a sequence that was just an imported MIDI File (no audio, just feeding to an SW1000XG card.)

I took your advice and switched to the Creative Asio of my Audigy Platinum EX and set the project to 48000 and it works now but I would really rather it work with my MOTU 828 MkII. It is MUCH better sounding and the latency is 11ms with th MOTU.

[since my initial post I found that red block in the lower right is the CPU usage which is all the way up when set to MOTO Firewire. But when I access the MOTU via “DirectX Full Duplex” or “DirectX Multimedia” ASIO drivers with about 768 setting then the MOTU works! When I tried to go back to the Motu Firewire setting to increase the buffer I got an error so I have to restart everything to see if buffer size increase will help. However, I did not have to go higher than the current 512 setting for Cubase SX, Tracktion, Chainer, EnergyXT or a few other apps. So something does not seem right.]

I have used the MOTU successfully with lots of other software. One thing though. It seems the MOTU is slow to fire up. So it is possible that your software is not waiting long enough for a response from the MOTU or something like that.

No faders? How do you change volume until that his fixed?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Hi Donald,

You’re the first using the MOTU with Podium. It is most likely that something in its ASIO driver is confusing Podium. If the CPU indicator is red and the play button does not respond, then Podium has (wrongfully) detected some sort of buffer overrun. Could you try and switch to the MOTU Wave drivers instead of ASIO, and see if this works?

No faders? How do you change volume until that his fixed?

You use the gain dial controls on audio enabled tracks. These set a fixed reference level. The level parameter tracks with faders are used only when you want to automate the level. You can draw the level automation directly into curve sequences. It’s only the recording of fader movements into curve sequences that is missing.

Wiecher
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, after having installed ASIO4ALL it does not crash anymore.
    Now I will try to hear some sound out of the song.
    Once more: thanks.

Wiecher

Donald S. Griffin
    Participant
    Zynewave wrote:
    Hi Donald,

You’re the first using the MOTU with Podium. It is most likely that something in its ASIO driver is confusing Podium. If the CPU indicator is red and the play button does not respond, then Podium has (wrongfully) detected some sort of buffer overrun. Could you try and switch to the MOTU Wave drivers instead of ASIO, and see if this works?

I tried the MME drivers and even at 2048 they are still crackly on my MOTU 828 MkII. However I saw somebody else’s response to your suggestion to try the ASIO4ALL drivers. So I decided to try them myself and they seem to work very well. 2 buffers at 512 works fine on your demo material using the recommended plugins. But it SEEMS as though his driver only supports a single pair of outs though his web site says it supports more than two. I’ll have to look into it more carefully.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘0.90’ is closed to new replies.
Β© 2021 Zynewave