Topic: 1.75

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • Dragging sound events onto other sound events will set up crossfades on the overlapping sections. The automatic crossfade is applied as a separate edit in the edit history. Pressing undo once will undo the crossfade. Pressing undo again will undo the event move.
    • Added “Crossfade” command to the edit menu. It is available when two or more selected sound events overlap.
    • Dragging events in the arrangement, piano roll, drum map and curve editors will show a translucent image of the dragged events. This makes it easier to e.g. align waveform peaks on the timeline when moving sound events.
    • Added “Create Drum Kit Template” command to the preset panel menu. The menu is available for global instrument plugins. The created “Kit Template” preset can be assigned to tracks with MIDI channel mappings to enable drum map editing on the track.
    • Added “Delete” command to the file panel context menu. Files that are used by the currently loaded project (i.e. items marked with pin icons) cannot be deleted.
    acousmod
    Participant

Dragging sound events onto other sound events will set up crossfades on the overlapping sections.

Good !!!
    A few things concerning this first implementation :
    – we need now an option, or better a tool button, to activate or not the automatic crossfade feature
    – if we drag on of the clip that overlap so that they overlap no more, the fades remains on the clips. If this is made on purpose we must have an option to force the cossfade to not remain on the clip (sorry for my bad explaination, I hope that you will understand…)
    – the crossfade cannot be edited by itself and needs to open the fade editor for each clip : there must be a single crossfade editor
    – the need for the graphic to follow the real sound amplitude is now even more important !

Added “Crossfade” command to the edit menu. It is available when two or more selected sound events overlap.

Sorry, I don’t understand. When sound overlap there is already a crossfade.

Dragging events in the arrangement, piano roll, drum map and curve editors will show a translucent image of the dragged events. This makes it easier to e.g. align waveform peaks on the timeline when moving sound events.

Nice and very useful !
    Thanks.

Conquistador
    Participant

Thanks Frits! A nice list of additions! 😀

Podianer
    Participant

Nice update! Thanks Frits!

I very appreciate the added delete command!! 😛

Max

P.S. What is next on the plan? I hope somewhere in the near future you will find some time to work on the quantize functions.. 8)

Conquistador
    Participant

You did it Frits, crossfades in Podium! Even Live 6 does not have this yet 😯

Classy stuff 🙂

A bit of feedback… 😉

This is taken form the drum map thread…

“You can use the browser window to locate the drum kit preset, and then use the export file command.”

I used the new Create drum kit option (defintely quicker) but I cannot find any way to export it. You said “browser window” which one? The List browser? Devices? I can’t find an export file command. 🙁

I cannot find anything on the new project start page either.???

– we need now an option, or better a tool button, to activate or not the automatic crossfade feature

Unless it is already there, yes this would be a useful addition.

if we drag on of the clip that overlap so that they overlap no more, the fades remains on the clips. If this is made on purpose we must have an option to force the cossfade to not remain on the clip (sorry for my bad explaination, I hope that you will understand…)

I think know what you mean.

If you have two clips that overlap (crossfades are now visible on the clips) you want to be able to drag the clips apart (clips not overlapping) but have the crossfades automatically removed from the clips as well.

Correct? If so I agree, as that would save time. 😉

– the crossfade cannot be edited by itself and needs to open the fade editor for each clip : there must be a single crossfade editor

I definitely would like to see some sort of clip level option (right click) that gives a simple choice of 4 fade types as in ACID. I think clip level editing of cross fades (without going into the fade properties) would really speed things up.

The fade / crossfade properties are very well done though and are useful for more detailed editing but clip level choices for fade types / shapes would really speed things up.

– the need for the graphic to follow the real sound amplitude is now even more important !

I first saw something like that in Samplitude I think. If you are happy to consider this feature, it may be worthwhile Frits to have a look at the Samplitude demo and see how that works.

Added “Crossfade” command to the edit menu. It is available when two or more selected sound events overlap.

I have two events ovelapping and selected the Edit menu while still in the arrange view… no Crossfade command is visible. Try it.

If however you select two clips first, then the Crossfade option will appear in the Edit menu. But of course the clips are already crossfaded by this time, so why add this option in the Edit menu ?!?!?

Your description (info line in the arrange for other users)…”Sets the Fade in fade out times for overlapping sound events”…how does it do this when crossfading is currently automatic anyway? ❓ ❓

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Sorry, I don’t understand. When sound overlap there is already a crossfade.

If you have resized the events or edited the crossfade times, you can use the crossfade command to restore the crossfade times to the overlapped section.

What is next on the plan?

Still more audio features.

acousmod
    Participant

If you have resized the events or edited the crossfade times, you can use the crossfade command to restore the crossfade times to the overlapped section.

Oh, OK. It was not obvious…
    Perhaps that it could be named “restore crossfade length” ?

acousmod
    Participant

Quote:

I first saw something like that in Samplitude I think.

Yes, ten years ago if I remember well 😉
    Now you can see that in all the softwares that can do fades and crossfades… even Audacity !

The reason that Frits has involved for not doing it, is that it would slow down the engine (during playing or editing ???, how many percents ?).
    As usual, an option in the Preferences box will be the solution : the user decides what is good for him…

acousmod
    Participant

Still more audio features.

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I used the new Create drum kit option (defintely quicker) but I cannot find any way to export it. You said “browser window” which one? The List browser? Devices? I can’t find an export file command.

Switch the project start page off so you see the old standard browser page. Navigate into the drum-kit preset. The export command should be in the file menu. To migrate your customized drum-kit preset to other projects, it may be faster to: load the old project, find the drum-kit preset in the list window, copy to clipboard, load the new project, find the device definition in the new project, paste.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Switch the project start page off so you see the old standard browser page. Navigate into the drum-kit preset. The export command should be in the file menu. To migrate your customized drum-kit preset to other projects, it may be faster to: load the old project, find the drum-kit preset in the list window, copy to clipboard, load the new project, find the device definition in the new project, paste.

Thanks for clarifying Frits. That does help 😉 At least I can work with various drum presets in any project now! 🙂

A few suggestions that are worth considering for the future…

1. With the ease of use provided by the new project start page hardly any new users would think of “switching it off” for *any* reason. So it would be a good idea at some point in future to have a simple export command possibly in the most logical place a user would attempt to export a drum kit preset…the preset panel.

2. Opening one project just to access a drum kit to paste into another project will definitely not make Podium easier to use and is in stark contrast to how easy many things are in Podium. Perhaps you could include a pre-prepared drum kit (with execess notes already removed) in Podiums installer?

For now your suggestions will certainly help, but as a long term solution please do consider the suggestions above.

Cheers 😉

Podianer
    Participant

@Conquistador wrote:

1. With the ease of use provided by the new project start page hardly any new users would think of “switching it off” for *any* reason. So it would be a good idea at some point in future to have a simple export command possibly in the most logical place a user would attempt to export a drum kit preset…the preset panel.

Very good!! +1

Conquistador
    Participant

@acousmod wrote:

Now you can see that in all the softwares that can do fades and crossfades… even Audacity !

Yes I forgot even Audacity does indeed have this feature. 😯

The reason that Frits has involved for not doing it, is that it would slow down the engine (during playing or editing ???, how many percents ?).

Now you mention it I do remember Frits saying something about it.

As usual, an option in the Preferences box will be the solution : the user decides what is good for him…

I agree. An option will let a user decide anyway. If you want to play it safe Frits you could always make sure that graphic changes are by default switched off. That way a new user will not even notice any CPU hit if you think it will be significant. But at least consider letting us make that choice as it really is a very useful feature to have. 😉

Also seeing fades and crossfades on a clip when a mouse is *not* over it is very important as well IMO. Especially in a busy mix. You just have to know what is going on at a glance. It’s a bit too much needless guess work at the moment, really 🙁 This too could be made optional if need be.

At least things have improved considerably with fades and cross fades now. :mrgreen: Just a bit more refining of the already great fade and crossfade feautures is still needed IMO 😉

francois
    Participant

Always nices improvements…Frits , it could be very nice , if you give us an indication , where you add/modify the manual , for printing only what is necessary 😉 I had last week a friend who brought me Nuendo 3.2 , i tried , not bad , but confusing and when it came to integrate Edirol Orchestral , i did not find the solution , because there are none , no possibility to save the preset , to make automation of the parameters etc….Podium is really GOOOD! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘1.75’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave