Topic: 1.76

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • The waveform displayed on sound events are scaled according to the fade curve.
    • Added “Show sound event fade curves” option to the tracks region properties dialog. When enabled, all sound events show their fade curve. When disabled, only the event under the mouse cursor shows a fade curve. The option is enabled by default.
    • Right-clicking the fade-in or fade-out handles on a sound event will show a menu with default curve shapes. Right-clicking on the fade curve will also show the fade menus, and if there is a crossfade then the curve of both the overlapping events will be set.
    • It is now possible to create multiple MIDI input mappings for the same MIDI interface input. A single MIDI controller can thus be assigned to multiple tracks allowing layered control of multiple devices.
    • Added “Release drivers when Podium does not have focus” option to the preferences dialog.
    • Fix: Piano roll and drum map editors will change to the proper profile when the drum kit preset assignment on the track is changed.
    • Fix: Using uneven ASIO buffer sizes would cause a crash.
    Conquistador
    Participant

Cheers Frits, a huge update! 🙂

Technophobia
    Participant

Thanks for the update Frits. 😀

Now take a well earned break over the Festive period. 😉

Podianer
    Participant

Wow! Great update! Thanks!! 8)

kingtubby
    Participant

@Podianer wrote:

Wow! Great update! Thanks!! 8)

Ditto 😀 Happy Christmas Frits!

Mart.

Jaegerteam
    Participant

thanks for this nice Christmas present… I have downloaded it but will wait with “opening” it until 24th Dec at night
    😛

xis23
    Participant

yeah happy xmas man!, I think you have earned yourself a big holiday!

Conquistador
    Participant

Some feedback… 😉

@Zynewave wrote:

• The waveform displayed on sound events are scaled according to the fade curve.

The first time I saw this kind of feature I was really impressed. It was in Samplitude. Considering how much that costs compared to Podium it really is just great to see this in Podium. It not only works for the fades but also the veritcal volume adjustments on clips as well. 8)

• Added “Show sound event fade curves” option to the tracks region properties dialog. When enabled, all sound events show their fade curve. When disabled, only the event under the mouse cursor shows a fade curve. The option is enabled by default.
  • This feature makes such a difference. 🙂

• Right-clicking the fade-in or fade-out handles on a sound event will show a menu with default curve shapes. Right-clicking on the fade curve will also show the fade menus, and if there is a crossfade then the curve of both the overlapping events will be set.
  • My pick of a great bunch. The right click menu is just so well done. It is just so simple to choose fade types in Podium, I actually prefer this implementation to ACID’s 😉

• It is now possible to create multiple MIDI input mappings for the same MIDI interface input. A single MIDI controller can thus be assigned to multiple tracks allowing layered control of multiple devices.
  • I just layered Atmosphere and Dimension, layering in Podium 🙂 Great! 8) I can easily save layered synths in a new project and save that as a new Project template. 😉

• Added “Release drivers when Podium does not have focus” option to the preferences dialog.
  • This works very well thanks 😉

But there is just one problem with fades and crossfades…

When working on an instrument track for instance I will wrap it in a bounce enabled track. Of course the midi is then converted to audio. Fine so far.. but when I try and apply any fades to the audio clip they are simply not available.

This was puzzling as I knew it did work before.

However, if I create a new track and drag the sound event there, the fades and crossfade handles become visible and are fully functional.

Something else as well…disabling track bouncing on a track will re – enable fades and crossfades on an audio clip. Of course re enabling track bouncing disables fades and cross fades for clips on that track.

Why are these features linked to one another? Bounce enabling, fades and crossfades?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

When working on an instrument track for instance I will wrap it in a bounce enabled track. Of course the midi is then converted to audio. Fine so far.. but when I try and apply any fades to the audio clip they are simply not available.

This is on purpose. If it was possible to set gain or fades on bounce track events, it would mean that playback of the bounce recorded track would not be identical to the unbounced playback. So the fade properties of a sound event are disabled when placed on a bounce track.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

This is on purpose. If it was possible to set gain or fades on bounce track events, it would mean that playback of the bounce recorded track would not be identical to the unbounced playback. So the fade properties of a sound event are disabled when placed on a bounce track.

Ok I see why you have done it this way but it might confuse new users. It certainly caught me out.

Perhaps some sort of option to allow bounce recorded events (on bounce enabled tracks), to have fades on them can be considered. 😉 While I can certainly work around it by

a.bouncing a midi event to audio then dragging that track to a new track (not bounce enabled)

OR

b. disabling track bouncing on the same track as the bounced track event (enabling the fades).

I thnk it would be a bit easier to understand if this behaviour was optional. The most logical place to first attempt a fade IMO is the track that an audio event (that had just been bounced to) resides. That would be a bounce enabled track.

As it stands right now I have to go to the track properties to disable bouncing on that track first (after bouncing to an audio event) to get fades working but I may very likely still want to bounce another midi event to the same track as audio.

Problem.

Because now I must go back to the track properties to re enable track bouncing which of course disables fades on the other already bounced audio event on the same track (which I would have moved further down the same track).

Unless it is a preference of yours in particular or it really will break something in Podium, please do consider either a global option or track option to Enable fades on bounce enabled tracks. 😉

I understand why you would want the playback of a bounced track to match that of the child track (with the unbounced events) but the actions I am talking about would be after the event has already been bounced.

I could easily hear from playing back / bouncing in real time that the bounced event is identical to the midi event for instance on a child track under it anyway. No problem there.

But having to then create another track and then drag the bounced event to that track making sure it is not also bounce enabled when creating it) is a step that does not seem necessary, unless it is a case of breaking something in Podium or causing issues elsewhere if it is made optional. ❓ ❓

How about an option maybe that automatically disables track bouncing after an event has been bounced on a bounce enabled track, this would then re – enable fades, crossfades e.t.c on that clip without the need to drag the event to another new track just to use fades?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

How about an option maybe that automatically disables track bouncing after an event has been bounced on a bounce enabled track, this would then re – enable fades, crossfades e.t.c on that clip without the need to drag the event to another new track just to use fades?

This will conflict with the way bounce track works. If you disable the bounce feature of the track, then both the sound events on the bounce track and all the child tracks will play simultaneously.

The primary purpose of bounce tracks is to be able to create an exact rendering of the child tracks (hence the disabled fade properties) and then be able to switch back to the child tracks to make modifications and redo the render. If you want to use the rendered sound events as a regular clip, then the recommended procedure is to move it to a regular audio track.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

This will conflict with the way bounce track works. If you disable the bounce feature of the track, then both the sound events on the bounce track and all the child tracks will play simultaneously.

The primary purpose of bounce tracks is to be able to create an exact rendering of the child tracks (hence the disabled fade properties) and then be able to switch back to the child tracks to make modifications and redo the render. If you want to use the rendered sound events as a regular clip, then the recommended procedure is to move it to a regular audio track.

Thats fine Frits. I just wanted to understand why and how it worked that way. But you have clarified that now, thanks! 😉

swindus
    Participant

The first selected sequence in an arrangement or event in an editor can not be copied when I try to copy it with ctrl + left mouse button. This means a single selection (sequence or event) can not be copied at all with the mouse.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@swindus wrote:

The first selected sequence in an arrangement or event in an editor can not be copied when I try to copy it with ctrl + left mouse button. This means a single selection (sequence or event) can not be copied at all with the mouse.

Ctrl+clicking will toggle-select the event. So what happens is that you unselect the event when trying to start a copy drag action. What you should do is press and hold the ctrl key after you have clicked the event.

swindus
    Participant

Ah, ok, thanks for the info.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘1.76’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave