Topic: 1.86

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • The mixer has been redesigned to allow a more space efficient layout of the track hierarchy. The send dial, mapping, preset and parameter rows have been moved to the track headers at the top. It is thus no longer necessary to show the mixer strip for bus send and effect plugin tracks unless you want to view the output meters for the individual plugins.
    • The input object row is moved to the bottom of the mixer strip, which helps with the visualization of the bottom to top signal flow.
    • Minimized tracks are no longer shown with a thin mixer strip. Only the track header at the top of the mixer is shown. This makes it possible to set up a vertical channel strip with bus sends and effect plugin slots at the top and fader/meter at the bottom. The default track options in the new arrangement dialog will set up the tracks this way.
    • The send dial now defaults to Off instead of 0 dB.
    • Ctrl+Clicking the gain fader will reset the gain to 0 dB.
    Zynewave
    Keymaster

I will continue work on mixer features for the next release. I’m going to add selection of mappings, presets and parameter objects within the mixer. Clicking on the object row in the header should pop up a menu for quick selection of an object. It will then not be necessary to drag objects from the track inspector lists.

swindus
    Participant

Thanks for the nice update!

I will continue work on mixer features for the next release. I’m going to add selection of mappings, presets and parameter objects within the mixer. Clicking on the object row in the header should pop up a menu for quick selection of an object. It will then not be necessary to drag objects from the track inspector lists.

This will make the mixer perfect for me.

I noticed one thing: Clicking on a map name in the mixer strip doesn’t select the track, the text area is not clickable. You have to click under the text, just a small area in some cases with the new mixer layout, to select the track in the mixer. Is there a way to make the text area clickable?

Conquistador
    Participant

Cheers Frits 🙂 I have some questions but I need to rush, more later. 😉

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I noticed one thing: Clicking on a map name in the mixer strip doesn’t select the track, the text area is not clickable. You have to click under the text, just a small area in some cases with the new mixer layout, to select the track in the mixer. Is there a way to make the text area clickable?

The track is not selected because you click on an object which you then can drag to other tracks. I’ll consider changing this behaviour so that the track is always selected, even when you click on an object.

Pigini
    Participant

The track is not selected because you click on an object which you then can drag to other tracks. I’ll consider changing this behaviour so that the track is always selected, even when you click on an object.

I think, it behaves as it should, plenty of space to hit the right spot. dragging objects to other tracks is a very nice feature which I would not sacrifice.
    The mixer looks superb to me. (I’m wondering how Lawrence likes it now)

Another QUESTION:

Have you put the “Import Hardware Definition” somewhere else?
    I can no longer find it in the Devices menu(first screen, used to be below “Import Plugins from folder”).
    [edit]
    okay, prob solved. managed to import it by just importing the hardware definition via import file menu. but better keep that change in mind for the manual.

swindus
    Participant

@Pigini wrote:

I think, it behaves as it should, plenty of space to hit the right spot.

Depends on the mixer view. Sometimes there is not much space to click on.

Pigini
    Participant

But now that you know where to click it’s hardly a prob, is it?
    Giving up the possibility of dragging all kind objects in the mixer would be such a shame, and btw inconsistent. Since dragging ojects around everywhere is one of podiums main strength and allows for so many different work flows.

You can use the filter tabs at the left, if you need more space to hit it, that should do the trick.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I think, it behaves as it should, plenty of space to hit the right spot. dragging objects to other tracks is a very nice feature which I would not sacrifice.

It would not sacrifice the ability to drag the object. The track could just be selected when you click the object. You can still start dragging the object. The only reason I chose not to implement selection of the track, is to avoid moving the current track focus when you just want to drag objects around. If you use the “auto-assign” MIDI input option you would probably not want the MIDI input focus change when you drag around objects. I think the need to select the insert tracks will be greatly reduced when I implement popup object selection in the mixer. You won’t need to select the track to access the objects in the track inspector.

Have you put the “Import Hardware Definition” somewhere else?
    I can no longer find it in the Devices menu(first screen, used to be below “Import Plugins from folder”)

I haven’t changed the device definition import menus. They will only be shown if Podium finds any definition files in the expected Library folders. Check that your library folders are intact.

Pigini
    Participant

The only reason I chose not to implement selection of the track, is to avoid moving the current track focus when you just want to drag objects around. If you use the “auto-assign” MIDI input option you would probably not want the MIDI input focus change when you drag around objects.

and thats a good reason. makes perfectly sense to me.

I think the need to select the insert tracks will be greatly reduced when I implement popup object selection in the mixer. You won’t need to select the track to access the objects in the track inspector.

another reason why the selection is implemented in the right way in 1.86 already.
    or have I missed something here?

I haven’t changed the device definition import menus. They will only be shown if Podium finds any definition files in the expected Library folders. Check that your library folders are intact.

Prob solved, had some old pathes in the registry.
    Are those registry entries actually necessary? Could be all in the podium.ini and even that ini could be in the podium-folder, if it was up to me. That way there were no leftovers in the registry when podium for some reason does not get deinstalled completely, no clutters in the system. How about just a selfcontained folder with everything in it?

swindus
    Participant

@Pigini wrote:

But now that you know where to click it’s hardly a prob, is it?

The problem is, the area is a 2 or 3 pixel space and this is on a 1680×1050 resolution screen a very small area and hard to hit. So you are right: it’s hardly a prob!

And hey, I don’t need any drag and drop in the mixer, so what’s your problem with my opinion or way of handling things in Podium? When it is possible to implement both, click and drag, why not?

Here is a picture that shows what I mean. Only the red area can be clicked to select the track with the Push Tec plugin. Try to hit the red area with your mouse. 😉

swindus
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I think the need to select the insert tracks will be greatly reduced when I implement popup object selection in the mixer. You won’t need to select the track to access the objects in the track inspector.

That sounds good.

Pigini
    Participant

And hey, I don’t need any drag and drop in the mixer, so what’s your problem with my opinion or way of handling things in Podium? When it is possible to implement both, click and drag, why not?

I have no prob at all with opinions. I’m just thinking, that Frits provided enough options for individual ways of handling things, without limiting the possibilities podiums architecture allows for.
    You don’t need drag and drop in the mixer, others do.

Here is a picture that shows what I mean. Only the red area can be clicked to select the track with the Push Tec plugin. Try to hit the red area with your mouse.

Thanks for the picture, it helps to see what you mean.

BUT…As you said it yourself, how easy selecting a track is, depends on the mixer view.
    I hope you don’t mind me saying, that you’ve chosen the least suitable for selecting grouped tracks in the mixer for your picture. In other views, it’s far easier, you could just switch to a more suitable view for your purpose. Some things work best in one particular view, others in another, that’s why they are there.
    Don’t take my disagreement the wrong way. I don’t mean to runt or lecture, just think the present options keep a good balance of different needs. And Frits is going to improve that even more.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Prob solved, had some old pathes in the registry.
    Are those registry entries actually necessary? Could be all in the podium.ini and even that ini could be in the podium-folder, if it was up to me. That way there were no leftovers in the registry when podium for some reason does not get deinstalled completely, no clutters in the system. How about just a selfcontained folder with everything in it?

Podium does not write anything to the registry. What you find in the registry related to Podium is placed there by the installer, so that Windows will know how to uninstall Podium. Podium will look for hardware device definition files in “My DocumentsZynewave Podium ProjectsLibraryHardware”. If this folder is not found, then Podium will not load any hardware definition files.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@swindus wrote:

Here is a picture that shows what I mean. Only the red area can be clicked to select the track with the Push Tec plugin. Try to hit the red area with your mouse. 😉

That’s a whopping 5 pixels! :wink:. I’m going to implement highlighting of the button/object that the mouse is hovering over. This will make it more clear when the mouse is placed over the small area that will select the track. If that is not enough, then a solution could be to add a “header spacing height” setting to the mixer region properties.

Nice color scheme btw. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘1.86’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave