Topic: -1000% ehhh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    stu
    Participant

Hi Frits,
    the other day the cpu meter went down to -1000 and something for a brief moment, what could this mean ❓ .

Stu

Zynewave
    Keymaster

the other day the cpu meter went down to -1000

Are you running Podium on a Cray supercomputer? 😮

Did it write -1000% in the CPU indicator? Were you doing anything when it happened?

stu
    Participant

My pc is powerfull but its not exactly a super computer, just a p4 3ghz ht.
    I was just going about my project like normal and then 😯 . Its happend 2 or 3 times now ❓

stu
    Participant

sorry, yes it did write it in the cpu meter in podium, I cant tell you if it happend in the cpu meter in windows or not, I did’nt think to look.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Was the ‘-1000%’ accompanied by a red flash in the indicator and a drop-out in the sound? For how long does the -1000 remain in the indicator?

stu
    Participant

Sorry about the delay on My replys, I don’t get much chance to use the net. The cpu meter remained green and it lasted for a couple of seconds at the most, as if it was a sort of reverse spike. During the time that it happend everything was running smoothly, sound, graphics and everything.

stu
    Participant

sorry, also the number dropped down to -1000% very smoothly, as in that each number between 73% and -1000% was displayed for a very short time, as opposed to -1000% just suddenly appearing. And also on the way back up to 73% or what ever it was, the numbers also went up smoothly. I don’t no if this can tell you anything or not just thought it may be usefull to know.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I don’t no if this can tell you anything or not just thought it may be usefull to know.

Thanks. This kind of information is very useful. I’m currently looking at improving the CPU usage detection and indication.

stu
    Participant

No problem. Also just wanted to say that this behavior does’nt cause any problem what so ever its just frickin strange 😯 .

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I’ve been looking for an explanation of this bug. This may be a bit far-fetched, but do you by any chance keep your PC turned on for days, without using shut-down? And I mean shut-down and not stand by.

stu
    Participant

NO WAY MAN 😯 , My pc shuts down and boots up in seconds so I turn it of whenever Im not using it. I know what you mean though, this can cause memory problems can’t it ❓

Zynewave
    Keymaster

this can cause memory problems can’t it ?

Only if you have badly written software, that allocates memory without freeing it. What I considered as a cause was that there are some system timers that counts upwards from zero at the time the PC is turned on. At some point this timer value will be so high that it can cause overflow in calculations based on the timer value. I fixed some code relating to this in the latest release. Let me know if you experience this negative percentage again.

stu
    Participant

Will do.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave