Topic: 2.18 – problem with fxpansion guru

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    kingtubby
    Participant

Since 2.18 I’m not able to load fxpansion Guru. When attempting to load it into a track the Guru serial number input window pops up. If I input the serial and click OK nothing happens. Occasionally, during this process the Vista crash alert popup appears with this message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Podium.exe
    Application Version: 2.18.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4a520732
    Fault Module Name: Podium.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2.18.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a520732
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 001a74e3
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

However, if I run Podium as an administrator it works fine. I’m on Vista home premium 32bit

Mart.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

This sounds like the same issue that was reported with Synth1 in the 2.18 release topic.

Previous Podium releases were built using the 10 year old (pre-Vista) VS6 compiler. As Podium is now built using the latest Microsoft compiler and libraries, I’m suspecting that something in the Podium process has now become “Vista-aware” and thus enforces the User Access privileges. Probably both Synth1 and Guru are trying to write files in e.g. the Program Files directory, which is not allowed for non-admin user accounts.

Are you logged in as a standard user or as administrator?

kingtubby
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Are you logged in as a standard user or as administrator?

administrator

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I’ve just tried to become wiser on UAC and “run as administrator” by reading a bunch of articles on the Microsoft developer network website.

I learned that even though you are logged in as administrator, when you start an application it is still being run as if you are a standard user. So I still suspect the issue with Guru is that it tries to write to a restricted location (such as the “program files” folder or some parts of the registry), which requires administrator privileges. If so, then you have to use the “run as administrator” when starting Podium. Do you know where Guru stores your serial number info? Are any of Gurus data files stored in the Program Files folder?

kingtubby
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Do you know where Guru stores your serial number info?

In the registry @HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFXpansionGURU

Are any of Gurus data files stored in the Program Files folder?

There are some files stored in Program Files but they are only related to the standalone version I think. There is a separate folder called GuruData that contains all the sample data, etc which is installed in a location of the users choosing. In my case it’s on a second HD.

Mart.

pavouk100
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Previous Podium releases were built using the 10 year old (pre-Vista) VS6 compiler. As Podium is now built using the latest Microsoft compiler and libraries, I’m suspecting that something in the Podium process has now become “Vista-aware” and thus enforces the User Access privileges. Probably both Synth1 and Guru are trying to write files in e.g. the Program Files directory, which is not allowed for non-admin user accounts.

I’ve checked, and I believe that the difference is in the embedded manifest. 2.18 contains element, which was not present in previous builds. This manifest element certainly makes the app ‘UAC aware’.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@pavouk100 wrote:

@Zynewave wrote:

I’ve checked, and I believe that the difference is in the embedded manifest. 2.18 contains element, which was not present in previous builds. This manifest element certainly makes the app ‘UAC aware’.

You’re right. That part in the manifest is now generated by default in the VS9 linker. I’ve been revising my build settings in VS9 the last few days, and I noticed that I have the option to disable UAC in the linker options. I wonder if it is a good idea to disable this? :-k There may be other factors in the new build that contributes to the changed behaviour of Synth1/Guru.

@kingtubby
    : I’ll probably release a 2.19 beta in a few days. I’d appreciate if you could try this out and see if this fixes the Guru problems.

kingtubby
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

@kingtubby
    : I’ll probably release a 2.19 beta in a few days. I’d appreciate if you could try this out and see if this fixes the Guru problems.

Will do.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I will be disabling the UAC option in future builds of Podium. I found that when I rescanned my plugins with Podium 2.18, the Drumatic 3 plugin popped up module creation errors. Drumatic 3 is a SynthEdit plugin, and it will save some .sem module files in the plugin folder when it is being initialized. I don’t why SynthEdit is designed this way, but a lot of SynthEdit plugins do this.

I tried disabling the UAC option in the linker, and Drumatic 3 no longer shows errors when scanned. Hopefully this is the same issue as reported for Synth1 and Guru.

druid
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I will be disabling the UAC option in future builds of Podium. I found that when I rescanned my plugins with Podium 2.18, the Drumatic 3 plugin popped up module creation errors. Drumatic 3 is a SynthEdit plugin, and it will save some .sem module files in the plugin folder when it is being initialized. I don’t why SynthEdit is designed this way, but a lot of SynthEdit plugins do this.

On the one hand, I don’t think it’s wisebecause Windows is only likely to continue this trend (in my opinion), in order to make things more secure.

On the other, why on earth SynthEdit modules save external files, I have no idea. That has always annoyed the hell out of me. I use a fair amount of SE plugs (grudgingly) so this becoming a problem would er … become a problem. 😛

Zynewave
    Keymaster

2.19 beta1 is now available. Please post your test results in the 2.19 preview topic in the future forum.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave