Topic: 2.32

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • Redesigned the graphics of track events. The events are drawn with a drop shadow and slightly rounded corners. This appearance matches the new design of note events that was introduced in Podium 2.31.
    • The sequence event headers are painted with the same color as the track header. This applies when the “show sequence event headers” option is enabled in the tracks region dialog.
    • The color of a track event is brightened when the mouse cursor is moved over the event. This is similar to the note event highlighting introduced in 2.31.
    • Optimized the painting of note event drop shadows. Removed the outdated shadow option in the notes region dialog.
    • The Note Map dialog will show plugin key names, if supported by the plugin.
    • Lowered the minimum size of note events when resized by mouse dragging. The minimum size is now a 1/256 note instead of the current grid value.
    • Fix: The track event background color is now painted properly when only part of the event is record enabled with punch-in and punch-out.
    • Fix: Using the Shift key to override snap did not work when dragging a file from the browser onto a track.
    • Fix: Inserting tracks from the clipboard or from a track template file would wrongly assign a track tag to all effect tracks in the chain.
    LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

Very fast release! I like the new GUI changes, it give more consistency aspect.

Lowered the minimum size of note events when resized by mouse dragging. The minimum size is now a 1/256 note instead of the current grid value.

Thanks! I noticed there is a little bug here… it’s my well know “dancing event”. When you resize the lenght of any event (which it’s lenght is between to absolute snap points) it do unnatural things, it resize one step fowards, one step backward, step foward, step backward, commo’n and dance girls! 🙂

My snap options are snap to previous gridline, and snap to cursor and relative enabled. Best regards 🙂

LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

As I see it there are two points while dragging an event, As and Bs, where As are relative snap points and Bs absolute snap points.

Once you start to drag the event and the mouse arrives to A1 the event is lenghten until the next gridline (B1). Once you arrive to B1 the event is shorten to its original value, because Podium takes closest the relative snap point, as you just explained.

My solution would be once you arrive to A1 paint until the next absolute snap point (B1), and once you arrive to B1 paint until the next relative point (A2). Always you arrive a relative point, paint until the next absolute snap point, and viceversa.

If I understood you right this should work… well… I think O:)

Edit: also, you could do an abstract sum/subtraction to the previous/next relative/absolute snap position, if you find this is difficult to program

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@LiquidProj3ct wrote:

Once you start to drag the event and the mouse arrives to A1 the event is lenghten until the next gridline (B1). Once you arrive to B1 the event is shorten to its original value, because Podium takes closest the relative snap point, as you just explained.

My solution would be once you arrive to A1 paint until the next absolute snap point (B1), and once you arrive to B1 paint until the next relative point (A2). Always you arrive a relative point, paint until the next absolute snap point, and viceversa.

You must have read my post before I deleted it. I realised that this was indeed the way to solve it, so that is now done.

Thanks for the blueprint 🙂

LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

You’re welcome, I’m very old’skool headed when thinking about problems 🙂

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

Ohh… you are asking for it this time! 😆
    Well, I can’t say I’m overwhelmed by the beautiful lightshow you now get moving the mouse across an arrangement. I could probably enjoy it more if it had a short fade-in/out time, but that’d be too much to ask.

Now prepare for a nitpick bombardment (among other personal observations).

– I really like the look of the new track headers! Can’t use them though, since I most often zoom out so much I wouldn’t be able to see the event contents anymore… too bad for me. 😛

– A problem I’ve occasionally had in the note editor seems to have found its way into the arrangement view now, too. Namely, short events are drawn in a weird way. It’s also very hard to see when they’re selected:

– Shadow reduction around notes looks good and everything’s much snappier now, even with tons of notes – great work! (However, I think I liked the way shadows [when they first appeared] were drawn on all four sides a little better than mostly just below events.)

Now it’s pixel-pushing time! :mrgreen:

– With a color scheme using bright text on dark backgrounds, notes and event names expand beyond the event borders. Also, the event name box seems offset from the start, resulting in 1px of waveform not being dimmed:

– At first glance, I liked the softly colored edges of adjacent events better than the clear-cut almost black lines, although I guess it does make for a better visual separation and I’ll quickly come around to prefer it. It looks weird though sometimes, as the backdrop of the event name, phantom copy and mute symbol seem to overlap the right edge (as mentioned above):

– There’s a bump at the top on fades and crossfades. Don’t see it? Let’s zoom in. 😛

– Events look like they’re shrinking when you hover over them (this actually was the same before, but not as noticable):

Fix: The track event background color is now painted properly when only part of the event is record enabled with punch-in and punch-out.

Nice! But It’s still off with overlapping events:

Okay, sorry, I’ll stop now. This post looks like a Picasso painting already.
    I have a question at the end: Maybe I’m completely crazy, but weren’t there “Undo/Redo Inside” menu entries in the event right-click menu until one or two versions ago!?

LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

God had to bless your eyes, and leave mine with myopia because he would be exausted after the effort, thcil 😉

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Well, I can’t say I’m overwhelmed by the beautiful lightshow you now get moving the mouse across an arrangement. I could probably enjoy it more if it had a short fade-in/out time, but that’d be too much to ask.

Are you saying that you’d rather not have the highlighting? I made it for consistency with the note event highlighting. I’m planning to add it to the tempo and marker events as well. Further down the line I’ll probably remove the remnant black frame highlighting.

– A problem I’ve occasionally had in the note editor seems to have found its way into the arrangement view now, too. Namely, short events are drawn in a weird way. It’s also very hard to see when they’re selected:

It’s because the new side edges are darkened more than the previous 4-side frame. I’ve now compensated for this by reducing the darkening when the event is less than 4 pixels wide, on both track and note events.

– With a color scheme using bright text on dark backgrounds, notes and event names expand beyond the event borders. Also, the event name box seems offset from the start, resulting in 1px of waveform not being dimmed:

That’s on purpose. The miniature note events have always overlapped the frame. The dimming of the background below the text now has a border of 2 pixels. I found I preferred this look, and it has the benefit that the background is not dimmed when the event is less than 3 pixels wide, as per your previous issue with darkened short events.

– At first glance, I liked the softly colored edges of adjacent events better than the clear-cut almost black lines, although I guess it does make for a better visual separation and I’ll quickly come around to prefer it. It looks weird though sometimes, as the backdrop of the event name, phantom copy and mute symbol seem to overlap the right edge (as mentioned above):

I’ve now shrunk the header area with 1 pixel, so that it does not overlap the right side dark edge. I agree that this provides better separation of joining events.

– There’s a bump at the top on fades and crossfades. Don’t see it? Let’s zoom in. 😛

I’m not seeing anything unusual. What bump are you referring to?

– Events look like they’re shrinking when you hover over them (this actually was the same before, but not as noticable):

Yes. Further down the line, I’ll find an alternative to the black frame highlighting. I left it in, because it is a help when editing crossfades.

Fix: The track event background color is now painted properly when only part of the event is record enabled with punch-in and punch-out.

This is a consequence of the way I layer the painting. Perhaps you can set up a poll asking if people would prefer I redesign this, rather than implement time-stretching 😉

I have a question at the end: Maybe I’m completely crazy, but weren’t there “Undo/Redo Inside” menu entries in the event right-click menu until one or two versions ago!?

They disappared a while ago, in one of the cleanups of the edit menu.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Are you saying that you’d rather not have the highlighting? I made it for consistency with the note event highlighting. I’m planning to add it to the tempo and marker events as well. Further down the line I’ll probably remove the remnant black frame highlighting.

I don’t immediately like it, no… Maybe I will by the time it’s completed and the frame gets taken care of, like you say. Well, you know best what you want it to look like, and I’m definitely not trying to spit in your soup!

I’m not seeing anything unusual. What bump are you referring to?

It’s due to the volume handle. Maybe this will help – look at the top edge.

It has always been like that, but this was a good time to throw it out. You don’t want me starting threads for such a nitpick! :-#

This is a consequence of the way I layer the painting. Perhaps you can set up a poll asking if people would prefer I redesign this, rather than implement time-stretching 😉

Heh… you better not be just teasing with that! 😯

(X) TIME-STRETCHING

They disappared a while ago, in one of the cleanups of the edit menu.

Hm, that’s a shame. I used them on occasion, and even thought of suggesting that they could be expanded to show a list of undo steps (like right-clicking the undo/redo buttons).

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Are you saying that you’d rather not have the highlighting? I made it for consistency with the note event highlighting. I’m planning to add it to the tempo and marker events as well.

Personally I would definitely prefer to keep the highlighting. I think it serves a very good purpose.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘2.32’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave