Topic: 2 tracks using same DSK VSTi causes Podium crash on exit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    pbattersby
    Participant

Has anyone had Podium reliable crash upon exit when 2 tracks use the same Vsti?

It took me a while to track this down but, if I have 2 tracks that use the DSK Virtuoso VSTi, or 2 tracks that use the DSK Synthopia VSTi, I get the following error:

“The instruction at 0x098247d3 referenced memory at 0x98d2ddc. The memory could not be written” (or some other memory location)

I’ve tried configuring 2 tracks to use the same non DSK VSTis and there is no error.

If anyone wants to try to verify this, the DSK VSTis can be downloaded here:

http://dskmusic.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

ronin
    Participant

Hi batman,

the DSK plugins are known to be difficult. It is very likely that this is the plugins fault. I would strongly suggest to take a look at other freeware plugins. There has been a recent discussion somewhere here.

Infinitoar
    Participant

Yes DSK plugins[to me] are absolutely horrible. All of them. Look for alternate plugins if you can but avoid DSK Plugins at ALL costs. Doesn’t matter what DAW you use them in they are bad, and ALSO off key or out of tune. There is a topic with me commenting on the “Master Bounce” and some really steady yet good plugins were named in them. Also KVRAudio.com is another good place too look as well. If I remember right Liquid Project told me to steer towards C++ made plugins because they are best for Podium.

I hope that helped.

LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

@Infinitoar wrote:

If I remember right Liquid Project told me to steer towards C++ made plugins because they are best for Podium.

Yes, try to avoid SynthEdit plugins. Synthmaker plugins, however, seems a little more stable than SE, but you cannot compare them to pure native C++ plugins. There is badly coded C++ plugins that crash more than SE plugins, but just few exceptions.

You could use one or two instances of SE or SM plugins, use them with moderation. It’s the same that when you go out and drink: one alcoholic drink, fine, two… you can have some problems, three… hey man, where the fuck did I leave my clothes???? 😉

Lion
    Participant

@LiquidProj3ct wrote:

@Infinitoar wrote:

If I remember right Liquid Project told me to steer towards C++ made plugins because they are best for Podium.

Yes, try to avoid SynthEdit plugins. Synthmaker plugins, however, seems a little more stable than SE, but you cannot compare them to pure native C++ plugins. There is badly coded C++ plugins that crash more than SE plugins, but just few exceptions.

You could use one or two instances of SE or SM plugins, use them with moderation. It’s the same that when you go out and drink: one alcoholic drink, fine, two… you can have some problems, three… hey man, where the fuck did I leave my clothes???? 😉

Tatapoum is made in SynthEdit. It works just fine.
    None of the Problems I get with DSK plugins.

LoopDrive and TranceDrive we’re both made with SynthMaker, again no problems.

pbattersby
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. Too bad about DSK plugins. I haven’t been playing around with them for long but I like the real instrument sounds. Piano, Strings, Flute. Things like that.

Now that I know the limitations, I can be careful.

pbattersby
    Participant

For anyone else with the same problem looking for a solution, I’ve discovered I can do this:

Create the DSK plugin as a multitimbral instance. In that way, multiple tracks can use the sounds from the plugin with only a single instance of the plugin present in podium. Although there is only 1 output in the mix, the plugins (DSK Overture and DSK Virtuoso for example) contain volume and pan controls for each layer. With only a single instance of each DSK plugin present, there seem to be no errors and no crashes when exiting podium.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave