Topic: 3.1.2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • Fix: The 3.1.1 release had a bug where some older plugins failed to load.
    Pulse
    Participant

OK, just had the opportunity to install and test 3.1.2.

But unfortunately it took less than 3 minutes for the first problem to surface.

Shortly put Oatmeal is totally unusable here. All it takes for the plugin to crash is to tweak some parameters and the Source section goes red and of course the error message “A Plugin has performed an illegal action. This may have caused memory corruption in Podium”

This happens 10 out of 10 times, no matter if it is an old project or a new one. I created a new arrangement and loaded Oatmeal only, tweaked for a minute or so, closed the GUI, reopened it and it resulted in a complete freeze of Podium, followed by “Close The Program” error.

After a final test Podium completely crashed, followed by “Zynewave Podium has stopped working” message.

Then I opened some other projects just to check for other vst issues and there you go, Independence Free did the same, every time when closing a project the “illegal action” error appeared. Then the same with KarmaFx Deelay, (didn’t try to reproduce it though, it was clear enough)
    Also Fnequalizer causes the same “illegal action” problem. But they do not crash and lock Podium.

And finally it seems that sometimes there is a problem refreshing the GUI of the plugins after powering on and off of the engine. The parameters revert to the default ones, and once you start playback they fix themselves. This happened here 4 out of 10 times with Tyrell, Oatmeal and Noisemaker among others.

Specs: Win7 64bit, Podium 32bit, clean install of both, 48khz project, 32 bit mixing engine.

All the Best.

CC

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@CymaticCycle wrote:

Shortly put Oatmeal is totally unusable here. All it takes for the plugin to crash is to tweak some parameters and the Source section goes red and of course the error message “A Plugin has performed an illegal action. This may have caused memory corruption in Podium”

I’ve just tried Oatmeal, and I couldn’t get it to crash.

Which Podium version were you upgrading from?

If you revert to the previous 3.1.0 (forget 3.1.1) does the same project work without crashing?

How do you tweak the parameters? Midi or mouse? While playback is stopped?

Pulse
    Participant

I have already reverted back to 3.1.0 (the version I upgraded from) and everything is behaving just fine.

From what I can recall it was as follows:
    – playback almost always stopped (I know a lot of plugins cause problems when tweaking/changing presets etc. real-time)
    – using the mouse
    – tweaking these parameters – the filter section, and switching back and forth between “serial” and “parallel” filter types, especially if there is “non-linear” filter involved. If it didn’t crash while adjusting the parameters, it would surely crash while opening and/or closing of the GUI. It was the same case with KarmaFX Deelay when playing with the Left an Right channel delay times, although not every time.

And now coming back to 3.1.0 I deliberately repeated these steps, trying to reproduce the issues but no crashes whatsoever.
    However, Indie Free and Fnequalizer from time to time persist on an “illegal action” error, maybe it is plugin specific rather than a problem in Podium.

Hope that was clarifying enough

All the best

CC

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I’m sorry, but I cannot provoke a crash with Oatmeal. I managed to get a UI freeze after hitting the ‘Random’ button 50 times, but that was with 3.1.1. Are you sure you were testing with 3.1.2?

Did you get the crash when using different presets as starting point? It’s possible that a certain combination of parameters can cause instability in a plugin.

Anyone else using Oatmeal with 3.1.2?

Pulse
    Participant

Yes, I’m absolutely positive that when I first reported the issue I was testing 3.1.2, and everything went exactly as reported. (Should have taken screenshots)

But after I switched back to 3.1.0 and started a more in-depth work on a new project the same issues started, something that (almost) never happened before, numerous “illegal action” errors and freezes (and not only Oatmeal).

So in an effort to track down what was causing it I realized that the only thing that had changed after my last use of Podium was that I had Cantabile Lite installed as well. Why and what messed the plugin behaviour in Podium is beyond me, but after I uninstalled CL and rebuilt the Plugin Database things went to normal.

I’m messing around with different “problematic” vsts as I write, but I couldn’t reproduce the problems myself yet, which I guess makes this a good-news-post. 🙂

@Zynewave wrote:

…UI freeze after hitting the ‘Random’ button 50 times…

Oh, that is an issue with Oatmeal for sure, it is a well-known bug (hopefully mr. Fuzzpilz will update this monster) that it crashes while changing presets, luckily I don’t use such.

It will be interesting to see how’s the plugin performance on other machines as well.

All the best

CC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘3.1.2’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave