Topic: 31 Days to Better Recordings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    The Telenator
    Participant

Greetings Everyone,

I ran into this while searching for a bit of software. The PDF didn’t look ‘pro enough’ to me somehow, and I almost dismissed it and moved on. For some reason I decided to read a paragraph or two and quickly discovered I was quite wrong about my first assessment.

There are quite a few tiny spelling errors throughout but nothing that will detract from the context. It should have had a better proof reading.

What really makes me want to share this here and particularly with newer recording people is for two reasons: To begin with, this author is no famous pro being paid to write from some snazzy Hollywood studio stocked with a million dollars worth of gear that we will never touch. He is just your average mate trying to be helpful and writing in an upbeat, pleasing style.

The other, much more important reason is this chap has truly studied the tricks and tips of smart, low-budget digital home recording and also just happens to have a tonne of common sense. Moreover, as I continued to read about, I discovered many of his tricks and frugal methodologies were exactly the ‘cheap skate’ way I get things done and still sounding professional on little or no money when I’m home recording on my own. His advice and ideas in some parts are simply beyond clever, so I’ll link it here. You WILL pick up some ideas that will inspire you in this, I assure you!

Costs nothing to download and read a bit to see if it squares with your own processes and sensibilities, so I suggest this guide very strongly. It’s a fairly fast read as well. I suspect you will benefit. Cheers!

http://hsc-pdf.s3.amazonaws.com/31%20Days%20to%20Better%20Recordings.pdf

adimatis
    Participant

Thanks, indeed a good reading.
    I’ve red it before and found it useful.

Joe and Graham seem to be friends and they put together interesting materials for helping people achieve great results within the context of a small home studio. See http://www.duelingmixes.com/

I like Graham’s http://therecordingrevolution.com/category/5-minutes-to-a-better-mix/ too, it’s worth spending that time to get tricks and tips from professional mixers. He also has this little book called “The no 1 rule in home recording” which actually is quite inspiring and I do identify with many things he writes in there.

The Telenator
    Participant

These guys are a great example of other experienced recording people who are genuinely trying to be helpful, particularly to those getting started — no arrogance, attitudes and the like. I enjoy the tone of his articles. It occurred to me last night that I may actually know Joe or at least have met him. He used to live in Murfreesboro, which happens to be a music hot spot where I frequented and where my musical son spends a lot of his time. There is a great music scene all around Eastern TN and into Asheville, NC, even though I spend most of my time at the beaches at the other end of NC these days.

Jiri_Smolik
    Participant

Despite being aimed mainly for recording audio, some tips and tricks from this e-book are useful for my needs as well. I really like the fact the book is simple and easy to understand yet very solid info-wise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave