Topic: 32 and 64 bit Podium on same PC?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    shaunthesheep
    Participant

I have just purchased the license and downloaded the full version of Podium. Is it OK/advisable to install both the 32 and 64 bit version on the same 64 bit PC?

MLS
    Participant

I think the only one problem is the configuration file and plugin database file.
    You should check the location of configuration files. If they’re in a folder with different name (e.g. “Podium 64” and “Podium 32”) then there isn’t problems.
    If the folder is the same, the configuration file and the plugin database file will be overwritten and you’ll have the settings of Podium 32 in Podium 64 and viceversa.

However, if the plugin database files are differents, when you open a project with the different version from that you created it, you’ll miss the plugins.
    To avoid this, you must customize the plugin database for each project: it’s possible but it’s a bit complicated. In the forum you can find several post on this topic.

I have Win XP, so I can’t check this for you. By the way, if you don’t have 64 bit plugin, I suggest you to install and to use Podium 32 only. In this way, you have all your plugins available and you don’t need the JBridge tool.

Waiting for answers by other users with Podium on Win 7 64 bit. :mrgreen:

shaunthesheep
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

It’s perfectly ok to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed simultaneously. The one you install last will be the one that by default is opened when you open a .pod file from the Windows explorer.

They both share the same setup folder and the same Podium.ini setup file, but there are separate 32-bit and 64-bit plugin database files.

MLS
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. 😀

The Telenator
    Participant

Stupid question, I know, but the brain cells are still largely offline after a long Friday night:

Aside from the gained advantage of having more memory available (if at all needed), what other advantages are there in using Podium in 64 bit? I can’t hear a bit of difference in any 64-bit setup I’ve yet heard. I’ve been running Podium and Reaper happily in 32 bits since the beginning. This is entirely due to the fact that I still have at least two dozen plugins that are not available in 64 and, who knows, may never be. I refuse to use any bridging (although Reaper is said to have its own that works fairly well). In 32 you can still record 32-bit float at 88.2kHz or whatever you want. So what am I missing here thinking about this issue right now?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@The Telenator wrote:

Aside from the gained advantage of having more memory available (if at all needed), what other advantages are there in using Podium in 64 bit? I can’t hear a bit of difference in any 64-bit setup I’ve yet heard.

There is no difference in sound quality, unless the 64-bit plugins have been coded differently than their 32-bit counterparts. 64-bit app and 64-bit audio processing are two different things. You can run the Podium 64-bit audio engine in the 32-bit app version.

The Telenator
    Participant

Thanks, Frits! That confirms all I thought on the subject. I knew about the difference between app and processing, but I was just wondering this morning if I had overlooked something.

I don’t need the extra memory that 64-bit can provide (at least, so far). I tend not to load or use big memory hog plugins. So, essentially, I’ve been perfectly happy with the sound quality for a long time now, but you hear of chaps always raving about using their DAW in 64-bit, etc., etc., so it got me wondering.

I hope all is well over there in Denmark! Cheers!
    -Tele

jag10
    Participant

Yes it’s true that both 32-bit and 64-bit versions can be install simultaneously..

The Telenator
    Participant

Greetings jag!

First post? Welcome to the Zynewave Podium forum. I hope you are enjoying Podium too. I came to Podium from Cubase sometime in 11/2011 when Cubase went into v5, which turned out to be a rather bad version. So bad, in fact, that Steinberg had to make a hotfix for it, and then turned around and tried to charge users for it! Well, not me, as I had one foot out the door already. Now, Cubase is in v7.5 now I think and vastly improved, but there have always been certain features about Cubase that felt a bit like wearing a straight jacket. This is old news, though.

I am better off by far since I came to Zynewave. I just finished what I call my annual ‘spring cleaning’ and this year it was a large one! Some plugins bit the dust this year from non-use or finding similar that work better. In fact while I’m talking VSTs, so many of mine, even many freeware, do 64-bit internal processing, plus I keep Podium on 64-bit float as well — it just doesn’t make a big CPU difference for me. I only do processing and recording a couple or 3, 4 tracks at a time and render down various tracks and move on. I use the 32-bit DAW, though, as no good reason to change.

Biggest thing this spring cleaning is I put Alchemy Player (free) version through the shredder because the sound packs are way too expensive. Then my Kontakt and Reaktor Players were acting up greatly in standalone, so . . . you guessed it . . . the shredder, because they wanted hundreds to buy the full Komplete deal. They weren’t that great anyway and I don’t like NI in the first place. Gave away Ableton Live 8 to a former bandmate who has been without a day job for 1 1/2+ year now . . . fun DAW but not my cup of tea. Then I went broke last month buying some top synths I had always wanted.

Are you new to digital recording or only Podium? There are many threads here with tips, advice for Podium, and many linking free plugins, so have a look around if you are needing to build a collection. I finally tested the ones from Synthescience and they are quite excellent. Those folks make two very fine free Juno-type synths too.

Enjoy your edition of Podium!

Cheers!
    — Tele

pynylopy
    Participant

Well done. it gives me infomation about podium.
    I am a newbie here… 😀

joxx
    Participant

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Podium are okay to install on the same 64 bit PC.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave