Topic: 64-bit support

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
    koalaboy
    Participant

Use under 4GB per application, but over for the operating system as a whole.

Basically, if I’m running 3 applications, they could each have up to 4GB and with 12GB total there’d be hardly any page swapping.

Sure, it’s not going to solve the problem if your application needs more than 4GB by itself, but for many people (myself included) that’s not a problem with most things including audio.

For 3D graphics, Huge samplesets and other things, you would need true 64bit, but for eveything else there’s PAE (Physical Address Extension) which allows the operating system to have access to much more than 4GB.

Unfortunately, Microsoft disabled it in everything except the most expensive 32bit operating systems (Windows Server Enterprise) due to driver clashes. Apple don’t seem to have had the same problem (perhaps due to more constrained hardware) and so it’s enabled by default in the current OS.

When Snow Leopard (the 64bit mac OS) comes out, it’ll be able to run true 64bit apps as well, and it will be interesting to see how the stability (and things like Audiounits) are handled – knowing apple, it’ll work very well.

Conquistador
    Participant

@druid wrote:

I like (more or less) the moves Microsoft have made with it so far; it looks more polished and the open beta and release candidate idea has me convinced it will be a better product for it. Microsoft would have to do something pretty bad (or have had done something and then it come out into public) for me to change my mind currently.

Yes. Microsoft seem to be trying pretty hard to up the quality and polish stakes with Windows 7. It has been very stable indeed over here. Very impressed.

koalaboy
    Participant

The developer of jBridge has just posted an example of how to integrate his wrapper a bit more into a host (the users still need to install the jBridge part seperately):

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how-to-add-direct-support-for-jbridge-in-your-host/

Mike G
    Participant

Hi,
    Quick question.
    I’m planning on installing windows 7 64 bit. (soonish)
    I checked and my audio device has 64 bit driver support.
    Is there any disadvantage to 64 bit that anyone knows of? (Will some plug-ins not work etc.)
    Thanks,
    Mike G

druid
    Participant

That I”m aware of, drivers being 64-bit is different to applications being 64-bit. As long as the drivers are stable (and that’s hit and miss with some developers, but should unify after Windows 7 gets more widespread in the user sector (in my opinion!)), you should run 32-bit applications just fine and use all the VSTs you did before (there might be some that might use certain functions that don’t work properly or at all? Not sure…). 64-bit applications, on the other hand, typically don’t load 32-bit plugins, which is frustrating.

I’ve read that plenty of users are fine with 64-bit drivers and 32-bit applications, both in Vista and Win7.

For some time to come, I think there will still be the occasional incompatibilty/weird bug that will make 64-bit less desirable, but I don’t think many users will experience this. I’ll be jumping to Win7 myself in a few months, along with a new computer, and am hoping it will be a smooth ride.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Mike G wrote:

Hi,
    Quick question.
    I’m planning on installing windows 7 64 bit. (soonish)
    I checked and my audio device has 64 bit driver support.
    Is there any disadvantage to 64 bit that anyone knows of? (Will some plug-ins not work etc.)
    Thanks,
    Mike G

I have used Vista x64 for well over a year. The biggest problem you would likely have faced is x64 drivers for your audio device. Since you have that already IMO that is pretty much it.

I have installed all my x86 /32bit apps and plugins and they all work on x64 Vista with Podium. Spectrasonics, NI, freebies e.t.c.

Of course YMMV but the audio driver support is the biggie IMO. All 32bit software will run in a sandbox of sorts…a WoW64 layer. Don’t think this will slow your apps to a crawl…far from it here, Podium zips along quite superbly on Vista x64. Totally rock solid and uber responsive.

I would certainly check your plugins for x64 versions in future when Podium goes x64. Devs like Voxengo for instance already have a huge roster of x64 plugs.

You will find that your x86 apps will by default be directed to a “Programs (x86)” folder instead of the normal “Programs”. Thats Windows way of making sure your x86 an x64 apps do not get mixed up. I welcome that frankly. You can still direct any install anywhere you want though. No problem there. Windows 7 may do things differently though but IMO that is unlikely.

@Zynewave wrote:

When Windows 7 is released (est. end of 2009) I’ll probably treat myself to a new PC with Win7 64 bit preinstalled. At that point I’ll start working on a 64 bit version of Podium. Until then I think my time is better spent on working on Podium features.

I pre orderedW7a few weeks ago (its out on the 22nd of OCT.) and found out that the full Retail version of Windows 7 has the x86 and the x64 version on the same disc. Not sure if the upgrade version of W7 from Vista does. :-k

druid
    Participant

Hey Frits. I have my final Windows 7 64-bit 7 days early, having access to suppliers is great! 🙂

I haven’t tested Podium 2.22 yet, nor much audio stuff, but I plan to give them a quick run soon. Just letting you know that I can at least test briefly any 64-bit Podium you make now. Not sure if that’s useful to you right now or not, but there it is.

I wouldn’t be able to heavily test as I am outside of the constant music work habit at the moment. But I can definitely test specific things, especially, running it to see if it works! 😛

koalaboy
    Participant

Any more thoughts on at least integrating jbridge support, as per the link I previously posted ?

Cakewalk have put it in Sonar alongside their own bitbridge which shows how much people like it, and it would certainly ease the usage.

Windows 7 x64 is running very nicely for most things here and it would be nice for Podium to directly integrate jbridge plugins (The latest version can even keep the GUI integrated into the host app, and not a separate window).

WIth VSTs like Kontakt being 64bit now, and me having 12GB of RAM to use, podium needs jbridge (or equivalent) to help use that memory.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

I prefer to wait with this until I get a Windows 7 64-bit installation so that I can try out all the features of jbridge. I don’t know when I’ll order a new PC. I’m waiting to see what the verdict is on the new range of multitouch laptops that are about to come out.

koalaboy
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I prefer to wait with this until I get a Windows 7 64-bit installation so that I can try out all the features of jbridge. I don’t know when I’ll order a new PC. I’m waiting to see what the verdict is on the new range of multitouch laptops that are about to come out.

That makes perfect sense (as long as you don’t go off turning Podium into some live performance touch-based interface :P)

I can use jbridge to ‘wrap’ the DLLs so they work in podium (with a few setting changed) although there does seem to be a problem importing a whole folder of wrapped DLLs but I haven’t had time to track it down – individually the first few work fine.

aMUSEd
    Participant

Seems the time is right now? – all new PC’s seem to be sold with Win 7 these days, many 64 bit.

H-man
    Participant

@aMUSEd wrote:

Seems the time is right now? – all new PC’s seem to be sold with Win 7 these days, many 64 bit.

I agree. I finally moved away from XP after my last disk-crash. Win7 64-bit has proved to be completely viable as my audio device has a 64-bit driver.

Where are all those touch-screen devices anyway ….seems to be rolling pretty slowly IMO (No …not counting iPad).

HP have a thing called Slate on the way as do many others:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/

Maybe these things will kill off netbooks and herald in the ‘touch’ age?

druid
    Participant

@H-man wrote:

(No …not counting iPad).

Does it have wings? 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave