Topic: 1.81

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • Added “Beat Slice…” command to the sound event context menu. The dialog has settings for transient sensitivity and minimum crossfade time. The slice crossfade can be longer than the specified minimum if the transient has a slow attack. Enabling the preview option will update the editor in realtime with changes to sensitivity and crossfade time.
    • Added a native editor for the zPitch plugin. The new editor has a band control that can be used to adjust the pitch in semitones. Holding shift when clicking the band will adjust the pitch in cents.
    • Added a “Mix” parameter to zPitch.
    Zynewave
    Keymaster

I’m still working on the improvements to the zPitch algorithm, so the version included in this release does not have the changes I’ve described in the zPitch preview topic.

I’m interested in hearing your opinion of the new beat slicing feature. The next development step I’m considering is adding a “Sync point” property to sequence and sound events. The sync point would be used to align the events when quantizing and snapping to grid lines. The beat slicing will then set the sync point at the transient of the slices (i.e. right after the fade-in). This makes it possible to apply quantization properly. Quantizing currently align the events at the start of the fade-in. After implementing sync point, the next logical step would be to implement an extended quantize dialog with customizable swing, approximation strength etc.

Conquistador
    Participant

Beat Slicing already available? That was fast!

@Zynewave wrote:

Enabling the preview option will update the editor in realtime with changes to sensitivity and crossfade time.

Very important IMO. Realtime. That really opens the door for experimentation. 8)

Nice work on the new zPitch GUI. πŸ˜‰

I’m interested in hearing your opinion of the new beat slicing feature. The next development step I’m considering is adding a “Sync point” property to sequence and sound events. The sync point would be used to align the events when quantizing and snapping to grid lines. The beat slicing will then set the sync point at the transient of the slices (i.e. right after the fade-in). This makes it possible to apply quantization properly.

The new Sync point feature…sounds like a very good step forward but I guess until you have maybe a preview ready we cannot really give much feedback but either way it still sounds like a very good next step. πŸ™‚

Would the new Sync point feature be accessible in realtime? As beatslicing is quite a creative feature, I guess it would be great if all aspects of beatslicing remain a realtime process in Podium. πŸ˜‰

Quantizing currently align the events at the start of the fade-in. After implementing sync point, the next logical step would be to implement an extended quantize dialog with customizable swing, approximation strength etc.

Sounds good to me. 8) Your progress so far is excellent. πŸ™‚

Podianer
    Participant

Thanks for the update Frits!! πŸ™‚
    Beatslicing works great!

But the mix dial of zPitch does not work here. Am I doing something wrong?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Would the new Sync point feature be accessible in realtime?

It is sort of already calculated realtime in the beat slicing, as it is the point where the slice fade-in ends. The sync point will be indicated as a vertical bar with a handle for dragging it, similar to the drag handles of fade-in/out.

But the mix dial of zPitch does not work here. Am I doing something wrong?

I just checked, and the mix dial works in the zPitch included with the release. Maybe you copied the old zPitch to another location and is still using that? You’ll have to reimport the plugin to get the extra mix parameter.

Podianer
    Participant

I did so, but it still doesn’t work.. I can click on the mix dial, but there is no change in the value..

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Podianer wrote:

I did so, but it still doesn’t work.. I can click on the mix dial, but there is no change in the value..

Then you are still using the old zPitch version. Check that the zPitch.dll is dated 14-03.

Podianer
    Participant

Errare humanum est.. It works now. 8)

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

It is sort of already calculated realtime in the beat slicing, as it is the point where the slice fade-in ends. The sync point will be indicated as a vertical bar with a handle for dragging it, similar to the drag handles of fade-in/out.

Ok…it will probably be much clearer once you release a screenshot or make it fully available once it is ready. πŸ˜‰

zPitch: I like the way you can vertically resize the zPitch window. I think that is actually necessary to see the zPitch tooltips properly. The graphical slider is very smooth indeed.

Beat slicing really does seem to work very well. πŸ™‚ Just one issue at the moment…

1. When adjusting the Transient Sensitivity and Minimum Crossfade time dials in realtime (with the Preview option ticked) Podium will skip over parts of a clip.

This happens when looping a file and then while it is looping, attempting to adjust the Transient Sensitivity and Minimum Crossfade time dials. It is an erratic type of audio drop out but if Preview is ticked, this is what will happen.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

When adjusting the Transient Sensitivity and Minimum Crossfade time dials in realtime (with the Preview option ticked) Podium will skip over parts of a clip

I am aware of this problem. I’ll try to improve the playback response for the next release.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I am aware of this problem. I’ll try to improve the playback response for the next release.

Cheers Frits!

spoonboiler
    Participant

that quantizing feature you describe sounds like a very cool thing. will it be realtime? if so, i know at least two people who will give Podium a try based purely on that. πŸ™‚

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@spoonboiler wrote:

that quantizing feature you describe sounds like a very cool thing. will it be realtime?

I’m not sure what you mean by realtime. In addition to the existing “Quantize” edit menu command there will be an additional “Quantize…” command which opens a dialog where you can set amount of swing, strength, etc. There will be a “Preview” option like in the beat slice dialog. I’m not talking about groove templates. That will come later.

psylevation
    Participant

Thank you for the update πŸ˜€

I think the sync point and quantize functions would be very nice. You could then easily take a drum loop from your song and chop it up and give it different quantization.

For me this is great because I like the ability to switch up to triplets in the middle of the song. On top of that I wont be so lazy and will make more variations of parts.

Alright time to go mess with the new features

Cheers,

¬Airyck¬

TabSel
    Participant

or, better namend Quantize Points are absolutely necessary when quantizing the slices, or audio events in general.

What about an extension for the start of a slice:

Currently, there’s a adjustable but fixed for all created slices fade in time bevor the sync point, right?

This coud be extended with an option to set the start point of a slice to the first crossing of the null line just before the sync point (possibly without fade in), or, if no such null crossing can be found within in specified time (possibly the fade in time?), the start point of a slice is the “fade in time” before the sync point?

also, an option to slice an audio event at given quantize values would be handy. Or creating a quantize pattern from the sliced material for quantizing other (Midi) sequences, etc etc etc…

First post here on the board for a long time now. I am constantly looking at Podium as a replacement for my Cubase SX3 and I feel like I’m about to switch… πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘1.81’ is closed to new replies.
Β© 2021 Zynewave