Topic: 1.81

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
    Conquistador
    Participant

@TabSel wrote:

also, an option to slice an audio event at given quantize values would be handy. Or creating a quantize pattern from the sliced material for quantizing other (Midi) sequences, etc etc etc…

I really like those ideas 8) The currrent transient sensitivity slider does provide a way to change how many slices you get but a quantize value option would be even better IMO.

I think your quantize pattern idea would work really well in Podium, very creative. 😉

Zynewave
    Keymaster

or, better namend Quantize Points

“Sync point” is perhaps a little ambiguous. How about “Snap point”?

Or creating a quantize pattern from the sliced material for quantizing other (Midi) sequences

I think that is what I refer to as “Groove templates”. It’s on the plan.

I’m not sure I follow your thoughts about the snap point behaviour in beat slicing. Let’s discuss this when I have implemented the feature and you’ve had a chance to try it out.

TabSel
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I’m not sure I follow your thoughts about the snap point behaviour in beat slicing. Let’s discuss this when I have implemented the feature and you’ve had a chance to try it out.

I guess, I habe too much time, so I try to explain right before I even got a chance to try anything out 😉

ok

1) Slicing Method

now, a wave is automatically cut regarding the transients of the audio material and a sensitivity slider

may be Podium indicates first where it would cut the wave before it is eventually sliced with the user being able to adjust the cut indicators beforehand, to
    – inactivate single cut’s, so the wave isn’t cut at this detected transient
    – drag the cut indicators within the material etc.
    – create cut indicators manually
    – automatically create cut indicators regarding a groove template for example
    – save/load groove templates so they can be used for slicing any other audio material, might not be percussive material 😉
    – restrict transient detection around a certain range of quantize positions of a groove template
    – etc…

2) Resulting slices

– are audio events itself, all audio events get a Snap Point
    – the Snap Points of generated audio events (slices) is being set as close to the transient as possible
    – the audio event itself is cut some specified samples/ms _before_ that snap point. The region from the start of the new audio event (slice) to the snap point is applied a fade in curve. This is the was it’s done now, right?
    – what about the cut being done not at fixed sample before the snap point but dynamically at the rightmost null line crossing of the wave before the snap point, with the resulting audio event applied a fade in curve as well, or not, as ther user desires…

Zynewave
    Keymaster

the audio event itself is cut some specified samples/ms _before_ that snap point. The region from the start of the new audio event (slice) to the snap point is applied a fade in curve. This is the was it’s done now, right?

Yes. I’ll consider adding zero-crossing alignment. Should both the fade-in start and the snap position be adjusted to nearest zero-crossing?

TabSel
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

the audio event itself is cut some specified samples/ms _before_ that snap point. The region from the start of the new audio event (slice) to the snap point is applied a fade in curve. This is the was it’s done now, right?

Yes. I’ll consider adding zero-crossing alignment. Should both the fade-in start and the snap position be adjusted to nearest zero-crossing?

as the user chooses?

1) slice start at

I) cut point
    a) “radiobutton”: fix negative offset of “(inputfield)S” samples left from transient detected
    b) “radiobutton”: zero crossing left from transient detected or “(inputfield)S”, if no zero crossing found within range “(inputfield)S” left from transient

II) fade in

fade in range “(inputfield)F” (F <= S)
    a) “checkbox”: fade in on zero crossing cut
    b) “checkbox”: fade in on no zero crossing cut
    (none checked means no fade in)

III) Snap Point
    a) “radiobutton”: set at transient detected
    b) “radiobutton”: set at slice start point

IV) fade out
    fade out range “(inputfield)O” (%-value of slice length?)
    a) “checkbox”: fade out on zero crossing cut of next slice
    b) “checkbox”: fade out on no zero crossing cut of next slice
    (none checked means no fade in)

what about an RMS curve of the material automatically generated and inserted as sequence on a (new) curve track? Your calculating transients anyway… might become handy when controlling for example a plugin’s filter cutoff by the RMS of an audio material? 😉

Zynewave
    Keymaster

That is too many options in my opinion. Being presented with a dialog with that many options/decisions would possibly discourage a lot of users. I think it makes sense to always adjust to zero crossing if not too far away from the detected transient point.

TabSel
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

That is too many options in my opinion. Being presented with a dialog with that many options/decisions would possibly discourage a lot of users. I think it makes sense to always adjust to zero crossing if not too far away from the detected transient point.

yes, you’re absolutely right. The slices start/end can be altered manually anyway. At least the automatic fade in/out curve on/off option might be “needed”…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘1.81’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave