Topic: 2.02 beta: ReWire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster

The 2.02 beta is available in the VIP lounge. I’m glad this one is nearly done. It took a little longer than I had hoped.

Change list so far:

• ReWire mixer support, including MIDI and parameter control of ReWire instruments.

• Added “Enable ReWire devices” option to the Preferences dialog. Disabling this option takes effect the next time you start Podium.

• The device mapping properties dialog has a new “ReWire device” type option.

• New projects will have a “ReWire” folder with audio output device mappings for any detected ReWire devices. The MIDI mappings and parameters will be created once you have opened a ReWire device on a track. The mappings will automatically update with any changes made in the ReWire device aplication.

• The open/close state of plugin editors is now remembered for each arrangement, so the editors are automatically opened the next time you power on.

• Fix: Resizing sound events to the start of the arrangement could in certain cases reset the offset within the sound.

Note that the .pod file format has been updated, so please make backups of your projects before saving projects with this version.

I’ve made some modifications to the way Podium syncs playback with VST/ReWire, so please check if your tempo-synced VST plugins are still working as expected.

So far I’ve tested with Reason Demo and Reaper. If you try other ReWire applications, please post your results.

koolkeys
    Participant

That’s great news Fritz! I don’t use Rewire much, but this is quite a big milestone to get out of the way.

Thanks!

Brent

Vonbrucken
    Participant

That’s great news Fritz!!!!!
    Thanks for the heads up koolkeys !!!

@ Fritz do you have some press kits of some sort ?
    Some videos on Vimeo , Youtube , SonicState Tv , dailymotion whatever …

I am a french board administrator and I waited long for that news ..
    Here the type of news we are making :
    http://www.samplestation.net/news.php

rinxai
    Participant

😯 😀

Fantastico!

A lot of potentially interested users will be happy to hear this!

I will give it a go and test with some rewired demo daws.

Thanks!

bladerunner
    Participant

the addition of rewire support is excellent news 🙂

@Zynewave wrote:

Note that the .pod file format has been updated, so please make backups of your projects before saving projects with this version.

what does this mean exactly? will old projects open in this version? why do we need to make backups – is there a chance it will not save properly?

thanks

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@bladerunner wrote:

@Zynewave wrote:

what does this mean exactly? will old projects open in this version? why do we need to make backups – is there a chance it will not save properly?

Old projects will load of course, but if you save a project with this version you won’t be able to load it in older Podium versions. So in case you find a bug in this version which makes it unusable for you, it’s good to have backups of your projects that will load in older Podium versions.

bladerunner
    Participant

aah i see. thanks for clearing that up and the extremely swift response! 🙂

sorry my first post here is so full of questions!

Slomo
    Participant

Hi Fritz!

I haven’t have time to test it yet, but DrumCore uses ReWire and there is a demo at; http://www.submersiblemusic.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=65

Try it if you like…

R

Conquistador
    Participant

:mrgreen: Nice!

I hardly use Rewire personally but it’s importance to Podium is simply huge. A massive addition that now opens up a new demographic to Podium…

Reason users
    Ableton Live users
    Reaper users
    Project 5 users
    e.t.c

Adding Rewire also seriously swells Podiums clout for future reviews. It would have been marked down for the lack of it. Heading the right way Frits. Well done! 🙂

Not sure if I can use Rewire on Vista x64 (should be able to though, between x86 apps) but I willl post back to let you know. I would certainly like to help by testing the 2.0.2 Rewire beta for you.

Conquistador
    Participant

Initial test feedback…

Finally! It fits in rather nicely if I may say so 🙂

I initially tried to find the Rewire entry (after a scan) in the Devices column and could not find it in an existing project. Perhaps an x64 Rewire Vista limitation I thought 🙁

I then tried to start a new project and Podium did add a Rewire folder this time (yes!) I tested Podium with Reason adapted (an older version). It picked up Reason ok, but whenever Reason would get to the end of a loop it would hang during playback. It’s like It would not loop at all, even though moving the loop points in either Reason or Podium were always in perfect sync. Playback in Podium carried on though.

I guess it might be because I am using an older version of Reason (2.5), so maybe that is why. I guess a Reason 3 or 4 user would need to give feedback on that for us (please). The version of Reason I am using is not x64 compatible FWIW, but it works fine on it’s own on V x64.

Start up for Rewire hosts
    I noticed that Reason did not start up automatically after I dragged the Mix mapping for it to a track, is this a Reason limitation? Project 5 for instance satisfyingly did start up automatically as soon as I dragged one of the available Rewire mappings for P5 to a track but as soon as it did I got this error….

Error 5?????

Funnily enough though everything AFAICT still worked perfectly. I heard the output, adjusted loop markers in both apps and they synced perfectly. No drop outs, or glitches. So the error appears to have no bearing on performance or anything / where else. Any idea why that error is showing up?

Also there is a link to an updater for Rewire apps on Vista (x86 only almost certainly)
    I downloaded it and installed it on x64 anyway just to see if it would remove the error…and it did. At least for now. I started a new project and the error was gone once I installed the Rewire Vista update from Propellerhead. So maybe that was the cause.

Naming convention for Rewire Mappings
    The channel mappings for Rewire hosts are labelled as FX. Surely that should be i for instrument or for even better and easier classification, how about R for Rewire?

I set Project 5 to only show one Rewire output and it showed up in Podium as L.

It played as a stereo pair though correctly but I just wondered if that was Project 5 exposing the listing / mapping that way to Podium or Podium not listing the stereo pair properly.

Reason main outs appear as “Mix” to further rmuddy the waters. 😛 I am guessing it is the applications that are causing the disparity with the naming of outputs but I am not an expert on ReWire so you tell me. 😐

Bounce test
    I successfully bounced a track from Project5 in realtime and dragged the play cursor to a new starting point all in realtime with no glitch, super smooth. I switched back between the Project 5 output and the Bounced output by clicking the B button, no problems there either. Super Slick.

The big one… Merge project test…He he…
    I used the Merge project command to add the Rewire mappings to an older project. It was an instant process. No problems using the Rewire Mappings there either. Bear in mind this is all working on x64 Vista which is not even officially supported yet! Impressive.

Back to Merge project though…how else would a user add Rewire devices to an older project? Is Merge Project the only suggested way? Or do you have something else in mind to add there? Works perfectly well and is instant FWIW.

It has been quite an experience combining rewired apps with Podium. It really does take things to another level. Brilliant. So far so good here. :mrgreen:

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Slomo wrote:

I haven’t have time to test it yet, but DrumCore uses ReWire and there is a demo at; http://www.submersiblemusic.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=65

Try it if you like…

R

I tried the DrumCore LT version. It seemed to work ok. I am not too impressed with the product installation though. There seems to be no way to uninstall DrumCore. I saw an unanswered post about this from another user on their forum. I hate the fact that I have to do a Vista reinstall or tamper with the registry just to clean out Drumcore. 😡

Edit: I found that my Windows had created a System Restore point from earlier today. After reverting to that, DrumCore is removed from the registry.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

Works great so far with Ableton Live Lite 7! 8)

Slomo
    Participant

Sorry about that Fritz. The DrumCore Demo creates an install log though (creates reg key for Content path, Start-menu and Rewire).

I have tried Podium 2.02beta1 with both DrumCore v2.5.1 and MelodyneEssential v1.8.1. They also work great so far.

R

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Vonbrucken wrote:

@ Fritz do you have some press kits of some sort ?
    Some videos on Vimeo , Youtube , SonicState Tv , dailymotion whatever …

There are the logo images, but other than that I have not found the time to prepare press kits.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Conquistador wrote:

Initial test feedback…

Thanks for testing.

I tested Podium with Reason adapted (an older version). It picked up Reason ok, but whenever Reason would get to the end of a loop it would hang during playback. It’s like It would not loop at all, even though moving the loop points in either Reason or Podium were always in perfect sync. Playback in Podium carried on though.

Please try this again with the new beta2. I’ve made a change that may fix this looping problem.

I noticed that Reason did not start up automatically after I dragged the Mix mapping for it to a track, is this a Reason limitation?

The Reason 4 demo I’m using opens up automatically.

I set Project 5 to only show one Rewire output and it showed up in Podium as L.

Reason main outs appear as “Mix” to further rmuddy the waters. 😛 I am guessing it is the applications that are causing the disparity with the naming of outputs but I am not an expert on ReWire so you tell me. 😐

The mono channel labels come from the ReWire devices. In beta2 I’ve changed the way I combine mono labels for stereo pairs. E.g. “mix” will now read “mix L+R” etc.

Back to Merge project though…how else would a user add Rewire devices to an older project? Is Merge Project the only suggested way? Or do you have something else in mind to add there? Works perfectly well and is instant FWIW.

The beta2 has a new “Import ReWire Devices” command in the devices menu on the start page.

Furthermore in beta2:

• Record-enabling a ReWire MIDI mapping track will record parameter tracks of control changes made in the ReWire device window, provided that the ReWire device supports MIDI output.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave