Topic: 2.02 beta: ReWire

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
    Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I tested Podium with Reason adapted (an older version). It picked up Reason ok, but whenever Reason would get to the end of a loop it would hang during playback. It’s like It would not loop at all, even though moving the loop points in either Reason or Podium were always in perfect sync. Playback in Podium carried on though.

Please try this again with the new beta2. I’ve made a change that may fix this looping problem.

Fixed now! Reason Adapted now loops properly!

I noticed that Reason did not start up automatically after I dragged the Mix mapping for it to a track, is this a Reason limitation?

The Reason 4 demo I’m using opens up automatically.

Still not getting that here. Might be something that will work on a fully Propellerhead supported platform i.e Vista x86. I don’t think Reason 4 is x64 native yet. My version is quite old.

The beta2 has a new “Import ReWire Devices” command in the devices menu on the start page.

Very useful addition. Just simpifies things a bit thanks.

Hmmmm P5 does not start up automatically when using the “Import Rewire devices command” but it will auto start after dragging the mapping to a track in a new project. Once imported into an existing project Reason and P5 both showed up instantly but…when I dragged P5 to a track in Podium it showed this error…

…again it had no bearing on the functionality of Podium, Reason or P5 but the error was there. I could and did open the Rewire devices succesfully.

Maybe the error is why P5 did not start up automatically when imported into a project. The error also shows up when using P5 in a new project but P5 still auto starts anyway. It will *not* autostart if the Rewire mapping is imported though.

Not sure how far you can take this as I am on x64 so it might be something to do with that. Some x86 feedback would perhaps help you more. Just trying to avoid you chasing an issue that might be more to do with x86 apps running on an x64 OS. But if you have an idea why the error is there I can have another look with a new beta or try something else to see what is wrong.

The mono channel labels come from the ReWire devices. In beta2 I’ve changed the way I combine mono labels for stereo pairs. E.g. “mix” will now read “mix L+R” etc.

Thats excellent thanks!

Furthermore in beta2:

• Record-enabling a ReWire MIDI mapping track will record parameter tracks of control changes made in the ReWire device window, provided that the ReWire device supports MIDI output.

That new feature worked very well when I tested with Reason adapted. I could not get it work with Project 5 though. It may be I need to configure P5 a different way. In Reason I simply dragged the Mixer Midi mapping in Podium, hit record on that track, moved the mixer fader (in Reason) and Podium recorded my movements. Easy.

Maybe I am having problems getting the same result as Reason because Project 5 is not exposing its Midi mappings the same way as Reason, …not sure. P5’s Midi mappings are coming up as “channels” in Podium so in theory it should be easy to line them up with P5 I guess. I’ll have to try that one again I might be doing something wrong here.

You can get the P5 demo from here (untick the two boxes at the bottom of that page) if you want to see for yourself what the problem is. My description may not be coming across that well sorry. It might be user error on my part. It’s probably not a bad idea to download the demo as it will almost certainly help to get a better idea of how Rewire clients can differ even if It is user error on my part. 🙂

Some other observations…

1.The usage of bounce tracks will surely increase with Rewire in Podium I was constantly using them to bounce results from P5 and Reason even at the same time. But…the first thing I noticed was that I had to manually create an object first. Most people will not know that. Problem.

It might not be a bad idea to alert the user to “please create a blank object for your data with the Pencil tool” as soon as a Bounce track is created. Or even much better, auto create an object on new bounce tracks as Podium already does with the Starter Master track.

Having come so far with Rewire you do not want to ‘lose’ a demo user at that crucial point.

2. When I closed a Podium project that had P5 still mapped to it and P5’s arranger still open, Podium allowed me to close the project. When I maually closed the P5 app…I saw an error “Rewire Device closeout” I think.

Maybe some sort of warning (that floats on top of any existing windows) can alert a user to “please close existing Rewire devices before opening another project”. Also maybe not even allowing a user to open a new project until they have closed open Rewire Devices, I think some other hosts operate that way….with a short warning.

With arrangements this may also be necessary to avoid confusion.

UncleAge
    Participant

@Conquistador wrote:

Maybe some sort of warning (that floats on top of any existing windows) can alert a user to “please close existing Rewire devices before opening another project”. Also maybe not even allowing a user to open a new project until they have closed open Rewire Devices, I think some other hosts operate that way….with a short warning.

Is there a way to send a Rewire slave an auto close command from the Rewire master?

Conquistador
    Participant

@UncleAge wrote:

@Conquistador wrote:

Is there a way to send a Rewire slave an auto close command from the Rewire master?

There may be a way but I do not know of any host that does that. Maybe Frits could do it but I assume that as no other host (AFAICT) auto closes a Rewire Slave, then Frits will very likely also as some hosts do…prompt the user to close the Rewire Slave first.

I think Tracktion, Sonar e.t.c prompt users to close Rewire slaves first…at least when closing the Rewire host, I think prompts also show up when closing projects IIRC.

Vonbrucken
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

@Vonbrucken wrote:

@ Fritz do you have some press kits of some sort ?
    Some videos on Vimeo , Youtube , SonicState Tv , dailymotion whatever …

There are the logo images, but other than that I have not found the time to prepare press kits.

Thanks !

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Beta3 is uploaded. There are a lot of bugfixes and extended error reporting. This hopefully is the last beta, and the final 2.02 will be released this week. Please let me know if you find problems with beta3.

@Conquistador wrote:

Hmmmm P5 does not start up automatically when using the “Import Rewire devices command” but it will auto start after dragging the mapping to a track in a new project.

The ReWire dlls are not opened when using the import command. It’s only when assigned to a track and power is on that the devices and their panels are opened.

Once imported into an existing project Reason and P5 both showed up instantly but…when I dragged P5 to a track in Podium it showed this error…

…again it had no bearing on the functionality of Podium, Reason or P5 but the error was there. I could and did open the Rewire devices succesfully.

I’m not getting that error with the P5 demo. Maybe the error only occurs on Vista 64 bit OS.

@UncleAge wrote:

Yes there is, and Podium is using it. The only ReWire device I’ve found that does not respond to host open/close commands is Ableton Live (7.07 demo). You need to start Live manually after starting Podium to run it in ReWire slave mode.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Beta3 is uploaded. There are a lot of bugfixes and extended error reporting. This hopefully is the last beta, and the final 2.02 will be released this week. Please let me know if you find problems with beta3.

Mentioned earlier but it’s has come up again…closing a Project (not Podium) before closing a Rewire slave (in this case Project 5) results in this error which might not provide enough information for a user. It also looked a bit vague.

Interestingly Reason auto closed even when I closed a Project I was using it in. P5 did not. I would have thought it would be a user action but an auto close for Reason (at least) is even better. Maybe P5 auto closes (if a project using it is closed) on x86. If so then it’s maybe a native x64 limitation of sorts that P5 has. Although Reason is not x64 native yet either, but then again Rewire is part of Propellerheads so it is maybe more likely to work better with Reason I guess.

@Conquistador wrote:

Hmmmm P5 does not start up automatically when using the “Import Rewire devices command” but it will auto start after dragging the mapping to a track in a new project.

The ReWire dlls are not opened when using the import command. It’s only when assigned to a track and power is on that the devices and their panels are opened.

Sorry Frits what I was trying to say was *after*…importing Rewire devices (into an existing project) and dragging the mapping to a track, that P5 does not autostart. It did in Beta 2 with a new project and now it auto starts after an import into an existing project and with new projects so whatever changes you made solved that problem completely.

Once imported into an existing project Reason and P5 both showed up instantly but…when I dragged P5 to a track in Podium it showed this error…

I’m not getting that error with the P5 demo. Maybe the error only occurs on Vista 64 bit OS.

I have not seen that error in Beta 3.

Quick note..

Rewire Mappings are still labelled as FX in Beta 3.

R for Rewire might be better instead IMO, unless you specifically want them to have the same label as FX mappings which I think is a bit confusing. Rewire slaves are usually Hosts (Live, FL Reason, Reaper, P5), I think some are instruments but I am not aware of any FX that are accessible as Rewire slaves. In any case I think R for Rewire might nicely side step possible confusion with mappings. Just a thought.

Nice addition (below) that makes things clearer. Not sure if it was in Beta 1 or 2 but it certainly works in Beta 3.. 🙂

Zynewave
    Keymaster

Podium 2.02 final is now released.

@Conquistador wrote:

Mentioned earlier but it’s has come up again…closing a Project (not Podium) before closing a Rewire slave (in this case Project 5) results in this error which might not provide enough information for a user. It also looked a bit vague.

I did not get this error with the P5 demo on Vista 32 bit. But I’ve changed the way Podium closes ReWire devices, so you shouldn’t see this error any longer.

In 2.02 final the ReWire audio output mappings are indicated by a small ReWire logo symbol instead of FX.

Conquistador
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

I did not get this error with the P5 demo on Vista 32 bit. But I’ve changed the way Podium closes ReWire devices, so you shouldn’t see this error any longer.

Excellent thanks. If there are any problems there I will of course let you know.

In 2.02 final the ReWire audio output mappings are indicated by a small ReWire logo symbol instead of FX.

I think some kind of further distinction was necessary.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 2021 Zynewave