Topic: 2.20

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
    Zynewave
    Keymaster
    • The default setup includes a new set of arrangement editors: “Tracks”, “Editor”, “Mixer”, “Big Transport”. Switching between the profiles can be done with the new editor profile bar located above the transport. Use the “load default setup” setup menu command to get the new default layout.
    • The embedded editor view menu now includes editor profiles that have a timeline ruler. Selecting a profile with its own timeline ruler will detach the timeline zooming from the arrangement editor. The embedded editor remembers if the last selected profile had its own timeline.
    • Added “editor profile bar” element to the toolbar properties dialog. A toolbar that includes this element will show a row of buttons with the names of all compatible editors. Clicking an editor button will switch to that editor. Right-clicking a button shows a menu with “Customize”, “Duplicate”, “Delete”, “Move Left” and “Move Right” commands.
    • Each MIDI and audio input can be assigned to multiple tracks by dragging the input object and holding the control key when dropping on a track. It can also be copied by using the new “Assign/Copy To Track” popup menu command in the inspector input list.
    • The “auto-assign to focus track” option is added to the track/input submenu. Previously it was only available in the track inspector.
    • When a track has an auto-assigned input, the input is shown on the track header. Previously auto-assigned mappings were only shown in the track inspector and the mixer.
    • New arrangements will by default have the “auto-assign to focus track” option enabled for the first MIDI input.
    • The device, preset, param and input popup menus in the mixer are now identical to the corresponding submenus in the track menu.
    • Removed the “track layout mode” combobox setting from the arrangement properties. Tracks are now always shown using the compact mode.
    • Removed the “set up audio input and VSTi” option from the new arrangement dialog.
    • Added “create project template” and “create arrangement” options to the project start page. Enabling arrangement creation will no longer pop up the new arrangement dialog, but instead use default settings and go directly to the arrangement editor.
    • Selecting the “Microsoft GS” synthesizer in the MIDI input interfaces setup will pop up a warning about the potential conflict with the ASIO driver.
    • Removed the “editor type” setting from the Editor Profile Properties dialog. The editor type is now automatically determined from the regions that are included in the profile.
    • The Editor Profiles dialog shows editor type info in the listbox.
    • Added “texture image” fill type to the space region and modified the appearance of the “recess” fill type.
    • Added “Browse Podium Video Tutorials” command to the Help menu. This will open the new ZynewaveDotCom channel on YouTube.
    • Fix: Drag and drop of a device mapping on a track now checks if the mapping is already assigned in the track effect chain. This eliminates the problem where accidentally dragging an effect mapping in the track header would create a duplicate instance.
    • Fix: Switching editor profiles could cause some key shortcuts to be disabled.

Note: Podium 2.20 uses an updated method for storing editor profiles in the Podium.ini file, so if you plan to go back to 2.19 please make a backup of your Podium.ini file before running 2.20. Alternatively you can use the “load default setup” command when going back to 2.19.

The new editor profile features are demonstrated in a video on the new ZynewaveDotCom YouTube channel:

H-man
    Participant

Thanks Frits!

And this was supposed to be the ‘easy’ stuff after the previous release. 😉

Off to play.

druid
    Participant

I have to say; the video actually opened my eyes a little about what I could do with setting Podium up. I’ve always found the depth of setup just a little too much for what I was prepared for, but looking at it now, it looks simpler than what I first thought.

It also highlights the new setup quite well. I like this; often I’m scared of UI changes when I read about them, because I really don’t understand what it all means. Showing me makes it so much easier.

I also have to say, though, that it’s somewhat frustrating to make a few UI settings adjustments, and then when I want to load the default to get the new features, but want my little settings still set, I must set them each time. I’m not sure how, but I feel like there should be a way to have loading default setups not replace absolutely everything, or a way to load the newest default setup, what changed from the last one, so that other adjustments are not altered from user settings.

LiquidProj3ct
    Participant

Another release as this and I’ll have to update the spanish tutorial. Thanks! 🙂

H-man
    Participant

@druid wrote:

I also have to say, though, that it’s somewhat frustrating to make a few UI settings adjustments, and then when I want to load the default to get the new features, but want my little settings still set, I must set them each time. I’m not sure how, but I feel like there should be a way to have loading default setups not replace absolutely everything, or a way to load the newest default setup, what changed from the last one, so that other adjustments are not altered from user settings.

May be difficult to code for but …+1

kingtubby
    Participant

@H-man wrote:

@druid wrote:

May be difficult to code for but …+1

Agreed – I spent half an hour last night getting it back the way I like. It’s ok though, now that I’m comfortable tinkering with the UI elements and it’s sort of fun I guess 🙂
    I have to say I can’t see an obvious way of getting round the problem, as it seems inherent in the design.

That aside, another excellent update – nice one Frits. =D>

Mart.

kyran
    Participant

Really good release 🙂

Changing profiles isn’t really snappy though. It takes at least a second before it changes on my vista laptop here.

After I’ve just loaded an arrangement it takes a lot longer even.

Slomo
    Participant

@kyran wrote:

Yes, it takes a long while to load an arrangement and you don’t get to see the arrangement while the while lasts. 😉

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@kyran wrote:

Changing profiles isn’t really snappy though. It takes at least a second before it changes on my vista laptop here.

I’ll try to speed optimize the editor profile switching for the next release.

druid
    Participant

Hey guys, when I first loaded Podium 2.20 I noticed that double-clicking on the arrangement took aaaages to load.

Then I tried a couple of other projects and it was shorter.

I realised I’d loaded the default setup, and that’s what made the difference for me. I’m not sure who does it this way anymore, but I don’t let Podium activate the arrangement as soon as I open it; but when I loaded the default setup, it switched it back on, and that’s why it took so long for me.

Otherwise it seems ok on mine; but I’m on a Core 2 Duo 7200 or something mobile processor, so it should be fairly snappy anyway.

I also noticed, before I loaded the default setup, that some of my settings vanished anyway, like my VST folder! So I had to load all projects and search missing plugins (after adding the folder back in) and resave them all. Kind of annoying.

All in all though, now that I’ve had a look at the new layout, I somewhat like it. I thought I wouldn’t like not having the mixer and editor in the same window, but as it turns out, I was confused about what was meant; I never use the inline editor anyway! So it’s even better for me, now! Heh.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

For the 2.21 release I’ve renamed “load default setup” to “restore default setup” and added a “restore default editor profiles” command. That at least enables you to restore all the editor profiles without affecting your other settings.

Markus
    Participant

Maybe just do like

“save as” project command. Like in all other host’s. Then change the plug in scan to automaticly every time podium start. 🙄

H-man
    Participant

Frits, these updates are fantastic. The new editors and auto-assign/drag & Drop for the inputs make things even faster in Podium.

I found that after never using it, I have switched to using the embedded editor exclusively.

Powerful stuff =D>

druid
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

For the 2.21 release I’ve renamed “load default setup” to “restore default setup” and added a “restore default editor profiles” command. That at least enables you to restore all the editor profiles without affecting your other settings.

Much appreciated! I don’t alter that much of the UI, so at least for me, this will help fix most of the issues I experience when loading the UI. Ideally, it would be cool if Podium knew which version the .ini came from, and then adjusted only what was changed between that version and the new; but now that I’ve written this, don’t worry, I don’t expect nor even really want you to do this. It’s too fiddly and quite time-consumingly silly, and I’d much rather you work on other things! Your 2.21 suggestion should solve, in my opinion, the most annoying difficulties.

H-man: I haven’t used it yet, but I have a feeling now that it’s put in front of me like this, I might just use the embedded editor too. I never knew I was so easily manipulated by presentation of software! It’s quite surprised me…

Markus: Save as is in the menu; although I would like a ctrl+shift+s for save as, if only to match other software, since it seems to be fairly standard.

Your plug-in scanning request has positives and negatives, and I both agree and disagree with you. On the one hand, I don’t like having to add it manually myself to projects when I add a VST to my folder, nor reload it if the layout and its internals change considerably. On the other, though, I don’t like the idea of load time; some people have heaps of VSTs and it would kill them to have it load every time. I did like how XT did it; it would read each folder, and since I organise my VSTs into subfolders, it didn’t take long to load each menu. It was sort of like a compromise.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@H-man wrote:

I found that after never using it, I have switched to using the embedded editor exclusively.

Same here! Turned out to be as nice as I imagined it when I suggested this recent change. In fact, if it’s possible at all, I would request an option to only ever use the embedded editor. By that I mean when you double-click an event, the EE should pop up (if minimized) instead of the new window.
    Might be kind of silly, I know, since I’m probably the only one who still does minimize the editor/mixer! 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘2.20’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave