Topic: 2.20

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
    aMUSEd
    Participant

Just updated but it looks the same – where is this bar thing that was supposed to be above the transport?

kyran
    Participant

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

@H-man wrote:

I found that after never using it, I have switched to using the embedded editor exclusively.

Same here! Turned out to be as nice as I imagined it when I suggested this recent change. In fact, if it’s possible at all, I would request an option to only ever use the embedded editor. By that I mean when you double-click an event, the EE should pop up (if minimized) instead of the new window.
    Might be kind of silly, I know, since I’m probably the only one who still does minimize the editor/mixer! 😛

I wouldn’t do that. If you have a very big midi file (say an orchestral score with keyswitches), it’s very handy to see it in a big editor so you have a good overview. They both serve their purpose.

aMUSEd
    Participant

@aMUSEd wrote:

Just updated but it looks the same – where is this bar thing that was supposed to be above the transport?

Use the “load default setup” setup menu command to get the new default layout.

OK I did that but now it’s lost the way I had it set up before (I had a really nice layout in the Editor Profiles panel but it doesn’t even seem to have been saved anywhere)

druid
    Participant

Then unfortunately you will have to either imitate the new layout by setting it up yourself, or you will have to remember your changes (or write them down!) and load the new default and make the appropriate adjustments.

aMUSEd
    Participant

@druid wrote:

Then unfortunately you will have to either imitate the new layout by setting it up yourself, or you will have to remember your changes (or write them down!) and load the new default and make the appropriate adjustments.

Yes – although it would be better if such settings were saved somewhere.

druid
    Participant

I’m going to guess you are not “amused” by this! 🙂

I’ve had a look at the podium.ini file, and it DOES record which version of Podium it is. As I suggested before, the old and new versions could be detected and the changes made to the new one only for what had changed since the old one. I’m sure it would still reset some settings, but it wouldn’t have to do them all.

In actual fact, someone else could write an application that does it… I’m incredibly tempted, but I haven’t programmed for years, and I’m in my last semester of university, so I guess I’d better not.

If someone reminds me (assuming I don’t remember myself) in 3 months, I could *try* to take a look at it and produce something. No promises, though. Would many find such a thing useful?

aMUSEd
    Participant

It’s just an inconvenience and I was able to redo them but it does concern me that this might not be the last time this happens and really it should not happen. I did not expect it to completely trash all my settings till it popped up a warning and even then I thought they would still be in the older project file but it wiped everything. Settings for layout and appearance (like with colour) like that should be storable somewhere and easy to return to and I think a program should offer users a certain level of reliability in maintaining their data.

soundquist
    Participant

@aMUSEd wrote:

Settings for layout and appearance (like with colour) like that should be storable somewhere and easy to return to

I think you can in the “Save complete setup…” and “Load setup…” in the Setup menu.

But I agree perhaps the warning message should be “Do you want to save your current setup?”.

I’m not sure exactly what is saved in the Setup file. I think it is only editor profiles and colors, not MIDI and Audio setup. I looked in the Wiki, under Setup files, but there was no information there, as far as I could see.

aMUSEd
    Participant

@soundquist wrote:

@aMUSEd wrote:

Settings for layout and appearance (like with colour) like that should be storable somewhere and easy to return to

I think you can in the “Save complete setup…” and “Load setup…” in the Setup menu.

But I agree perhaps the warning message should be “Do you want to save your current setup?”.

I’m not sure exactly what is saved in the Setup file. I think it is only editor profiles and colors, not MIDI and Audio setup. I looked in the Wiki, under Setup files, but there was no information there, as far as I could see.

I don’t know – like a lot of the project management aspects of Podium it’s a bit confusing with various aspects seemingly handled in different ways. I didn’t even know of the a save all settings command and even though I had saved my colours I find for some reason the colour I had set my midi notes to (here) had reverted to grey after doing this even though I had it shades of blue so the whole system needs simplifying and unifying.

druid
    Participant

You can save color setup (colour for me! :P), or complete. The problem with saving complete setup, of course, is that if you load the new one, it will overwrite it with more or less exactly how you had it before, defeating the one of the purposes of loading the new default (which really is for one of two things; if there is corruption or other problems, to fix it, or to get the new features/default layout to keep up to date).

I would recommend to anyone to, before loading a new default layout, or even before upgrading, load up the old version of Podium, or the version of the interface you are using currently, and save complete setup to your own .ini file. That way, you can always reload it if you need to. There may be changes to the .ini file in some versions though, but still safer than assuming, though I agree it’s often expected that programs will do this gracefully. I guess that’s one of the negatives to Podium’s updating style, which is little bits here and there over various places, with no “cycle” or large version update plans. That of course also has positives!

aMUSEd
    Participant

Oh well eventually I found why the blue colour I had set midi notes to had reverted to grey and it’s a good example of what I was saying about bits of layout/config stuff being all over the place. While you create midi note colours in the setup/colors panel (it seems to use the same box as param gradation – or is it level meter? – I have them the same – also confusing) I found that setting had been overridden by another one that you can only get to once you have recorded some midi and rightclicked on an empty space in the piano roll – “Piano roll region properties” – which has a box to colorise notes with track colors.

Then you have some texture and dye panel options in preferences and another set when you create a project, plus all the layout settings in editor profiles – it’s things like this that really should be unified into a consistent set of controls that can be saved together.

Mike G
    Participant

I like the new editor profile buttons, (toolbar is very convenient, i never used the old menu items but these are quicker to click on)
    …but would prefer on same line as transport buttons, or even at the top somewhere. currently seems to waste a lot of valuable screen real estate.
    also would prefer transport left aligned.

Slomo
    Participant

@Mike G wrote:

…but would prefer on same line as transport buttons, or even at the top somewhere. currently seems to waste a lot of valuable screen real estate.
    also would prefer transport left aligned.

You can do all those changes in Editor Profiles. I did.

Mike G
    Participant

You can do all those changes in Editor Profiles. I did.

Thanks i know about that.
    Thing is…
    -I would need to keep making the change everytime a new tweak to layout of podium happens and I run “reload setup”.
    -Just thought the default setup could make better use of space.

THinking about it I think it would make more logical sense (to me) for these buttons to be immediately after the view menu.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@Mike G wrote:

I would need to keep making the change everytime a new tweak to layout of podium happens and I run “reload setup”.
    -Just thought the default setup could make better use of space.

THinking about it I think it would make more logical sense (to me) for these buttons to be immediately after the view menu.

I have to design the default layout so that it fits within the minimum system requirement, which I have listed to be 1024×768. That means there will be some wasted horizontal space on the screens used by most users. My first thought was to have the profile bar in the edit toolbar, but someone commented that this was too far away from the editor and mixer panels. The position above the transport toolbar is where similar panel selection buttons are placed in other host software, such as Logic Audio.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘2.20’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave