Topic: 2.36

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
    thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

Or should it be the deactivation of the transport toolbar record button that switches to bounce playback? And what if you switched record mode on/off without recording anything?

If there’s going to be a change then I think this is the way to go. I don’t use the deactive recording mode when stopped option, but I think it’s safe to assume that you’d want all types of recording to be deactivated when you do use the option. If you didn’t record anything, then that’s that… it should be easy enough to notice the B button (any any present waveform) changed color. :-k

Quick question: What’s the reason the meter isn’t moved to the bounce track after bouncing? If you disable bounce playback you’ll get a pre-fader reading unless you set it manually.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

I had some fun with real-time bounce recording today… now I remember why I missed it. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s too bad you can’t record any automation on tracks that are bounce enabled, though, even when the effect to be automated comes after the bounce in the signal chain (probably due to the fact that you can’t record enable bounced tracks). It does work with the faders on parameter tracks, so perhaps something can be done? I didn’t try with a MIDI controller, just with VST editors.

More stuff that caught my eye:

– It seems the highest level you can go to in the browser is a drive’s root directory. Am I missing something or is there no other way to change drives except using the browse dialog (double-click on the folder name bar)?

– When you drop files that are numbered like 1..20 in an arrangement, they’re not ordered the way you’d expect. 10 comes after 1, 20 after 2, and so on. Even Windows gets this right nowadays. ๐Ÿ˜‰

– If you uncheck “use as group track” for a track that has only one child track, the former group track is suddenly seen as an effect track… Maybe it should be impossible to uncheck this option (also for composite tracks?) when a track has child tracks.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

If you delete things from a project, the project browser seems to have a problem displaying this:

Also, I’d prefer if the ‘Move bounced audio to new track’ command in the bounce menu would always create the new track directly below the one that got bounced. Objection, anyone?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

If you delete things from a project, the project browser seems to have a problem displaying this:

Also, I’d prefer if the ‘Move bounced audio to new track’ command in the bounce menu would always create the new track directly below the one that got bounced. Objection, anyone?

Ouch ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Fixed. That was a bug that came with the UI changes in 2.36. I’ll probably release 2.37 within a day or two.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Quick question: What’s the reason the meter isn’t moved to the bounce track after bouncing? If you disable bounce playback you’ll get a pre-fader reading unless you set it manually.

If the meter is set on an effect track below the bounce track, then the displayed meter will automatically switch to the output of the bounce track when bounce is enabled. Otherwise the meter would be inactive. When you deactivate bounce playback, the meter reverts to show the output of the configured meter track. I think this behaviour is better than actually moving the assigned meter to the bounce track when enabling bounce. Or did I misunderstand what you’re saying?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

I had some fun with real-time bounce recording today… now I remember why I missed it. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s too bad you can’t record any automation on tracks that are bounce enabled, though, even when the effect to be automated comes after the bounce in the signal chain (probably due to the fact that you can’t record enable bounced tracks). It does work with the faders on parameter tracks, so perhaps something can be done? I didn’t try with a MIDI controller, just with VST editors.

Hmm, perhaps record enabling a bounced track should be possible. I’ll experiment with this at some point.

– It seems the highest level you can go to in the browser is a drive’s root directory. Am I missing something or is there no other way to change drives except using the browse dialog (double-click on the folder name bar)?

That’s the highest I can go with the Windows API function I’m using.

– When you drop files that are numbered like 1..20 in an arrangement, they’re not ordered the way you’d expect. 10 comes after 1, 20 after 2, and so on. Even Windows gets this right nowadays. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ll have to search for a Windows API function that can help with a more intelligent sorting. I believe sorting behaviour is locale specific.

– If you uncheck “use as group track” for a track that has only one child track, the former group track is suddenly seen as an effect track… Maybe it should be impossible to uncheck this option (also for composite tracks?) when a track has child tracks.

I’ve noticed this too. I’ll fix this at some point.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

If the meter is set on an effect track below the bounce track, then the displayed meter will automatically switch to the output of the bounce track when bounce is enabled. Otherwise the meter would be inactive. When you deactivate bounce playback, the meter reverts to show the output of the configured meter track. I think this behaviour is better than actually moving the assigned meter to the bounce track when enabling bounce. Or did I misunderstand what you’re saying?

Perhaps it does make more sense… If you’re only using bouncing to freeze tracks, though, you’ll get a ‘wrong’ reading when you disable bounce playback, as the fader position is moved to the bounce track, but meter position stays pre-fader.

Here’s the scenario:
    – You have a track without effects that peaks at -6 dB, track gain is also set to -6 dB. The meter shows -12.
    – Bounce the track. The fader position is moved to the bounce track, the meter is now set pre-fader (just not during bounce playback) and shows -12.
    – If you disable bounce playback now, the track’s meter shows -6 dB.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

I noticed a problem with changing time signatures… When you enable snap, the grid shifts, and not like it should! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ The weird thing is that it doesn’t happen at any point on the timeline… I haven’t found out what exactly causes it.

Here’s a video with a simple example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjVoR6GrMQ (this is after restoring the default setup, I only changed the gridline color)

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

I noticed a problem with changing time signatures… When you enable snap, the grid shifts, and not like it should! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ The weird thing is that it doesn’t happen at any point on the timeline… I haven’t found out what exactly causes it.

Here’s a video with a simple example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjVoR6GrMQ (this is after restoring the default setup, I only changed the gridline color)

Thanks. Nice find. Fixed.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

@Zynewave wrote:

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Perhaps it does make more sense… If you’re only using bouncing to freeze tracks, though, you’ll get a ‘wrong’ reading when you disable bounce playback, as the fader position is moved to the bounce track, but meter position stays pre-fader.

Here’s the scenario:
    – You have a track without effects that peaks at -6 dB, track gain is also set to -6 dB. The meter shows -12.
    – Bounce the track. The fader position is moved to the bounce track, the meter is now set pre-fader (just not during bounce playback) and shows -12.
    – If you disable bounce playback now, the track’s meter shows -6 dB.

Ok, now I see what you mean. Yes, the meter should actually be assigned to the bounce track, like the fader is. Enabling the bounce track should behave just like when adding a new effect. I’ll look at that tomorrow, and then release 2.37. If you have further bug reports, please post those in the 2.37 preview topic, as this topic will be locked when 2.37 is released.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘2.36’ is closed to new replies.
ยฉ 2021 Zynewave