Topic: disastrous CPU performance

This topic contains 61 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Kostrowitzky 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • #2625

    michi_mak
    Participant

    small project 1 audio 2 midi tracks –> 100% according to Podium cpu meter and 80% according to Task Manager ( multicore processing enabled ) BUT only 51% according to Task Manager in energyXT ( no multicore option available ) … any ideas?

    EDIT : Podium wont even start playback!!!

    #20958

    Infinitoar
    Participant

    Here are some things I would look at/consider

    -Is ASIO4ALL running and is the settings in ASIO4ALL doing what I set them to?
    -Is there any outside programs running[like Skype which uses a tremendous amount of RAM]?
    -Did you have any previous Podium projects running?[For example when I want to open another project in Podium, I save, then double click the .pod project file in the “Browser” tab in Podium, because otherwise, I highly believe Podium still saves process of the past project. Also I think it connects to the feature of “Link Project windows”.]
    -Any VST’s running that may cause a spike in CPU performance?[Such as SynthEdit plugins and such]

    If anyone else has anything to add, or to correct me on then by all means do so. I am not 100% sure these suggestions on what to check could help but it could be a good way to start.

    #20959

    michi_mak
    Participant

    – i don’t use Asio4All – there’s a dedicated ASIO driver for my M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    – no skype, no email client, no firewall, no virus checker at all
    – same plug ins with same settings don’t cause this cpu stress in other hosts

    issue might be related to “left overs” when changing / swapping plug ins …

    but the fact remains that Podium uses remarkably more cpu power than other hosts !!!

    #20960

    Zynewave
    Keymaster

    @michi_mak wrote:

    issue might be related to “left overs” when changing / swapping plug ins …

    One way to find out, is to save your project, reboot, load Podium and the project again, and check if the CPU usage is lower?

    #20961

    Infinitoar
    Participant

    Not to start a comment war, but I highly doubt it’s Podium using a immense amount of CPU.

    -When Podium is not in use of anything relating to software[just on idle or standby] isn’t your CPU at 0%, correct?[as far as Podium’s usage meter]

    -But when you “use something” it cranks the CPU to this “dangerous level”, correct?

    Then Podium[in my opinion] is ruled out of the cause of what is causing your CPU to clock so high.

    And if there is nothing else running and your running Podium by itself and there is no CPU spike then of course it’s your plugins/hardware that you are telling Podium to use that cranks up the usage so high. Not Podium.

    Try fully closing Podium then opening the project alone and apply your plugins/hardware.

    But if Frits tells otherwise then I stand corrected. Until then I believe it’s not Podium, but in fact your hardware/software that you use “in” Podium.

    #20962

    Infinitoar
    Participant

    Hmmm Frits did post, sorry if I didn’t see that. Just lending a hand I suppose until he responded.

    I will stay out of this thread then. Hope you find a solution to your problem Michi.

    #20963

    michi_mak
    Participant

    @zynewave wrote:

    @michi_mak wrote:

    issue might be related to “left overs” when changing / swapping plug ins …

    One way to find out, is to save your project, reboot, load Podium and the project again, and check if the CPU usage is lower?

    i did – makes no difference

    #20964

    michi_mak
    Participant

    @infinitoar wrote:

    Not to start a comment war, but I highly doubt it’s Podium using a immense amount of CPU.

    -When Podium is not in use of anything relating to software[just on idle or standby] isn’t your CPU at 0%, correct?[as far as Podium’s usage meter]

    -But when you “use something” it cranks the CPU to this “dangerous level”, correct?

    Then Podium[in my opinion] is ruled out of the cause of what is causing your CPU to clock so high.

    And if there is nothing else running and your running Podium by itself and there is no CPU spike then of course it’s your plugins/hardware that you are telling Podium to use that cranks up the usage so high. Not Podium.

    Try fully closing Podium then opening the project alone and apply your plugins/hardware.

    But if Frits tells otherwise then I stand corrected. Until then I believe it’s not Podium, but in fact your hardware/software that you use “in” Podium.

    the exact same plug ins with the exact same presets in the exact same project don’t overload other hosts …

    #20965

    kim_otcj
    Participant

    I’d check latency settings on your interface as well. I find that when I set my interface for the lowest possible latency, that has a pretty devastating effect on my CPU usage.

    #20966

    michi_mak
    Participant

    @kim_otcj wrote:

    I’d check latency settings on your interface as well. I find that when I set my interface for the lowest possible latency, that has a pretty devastating effect on my CPU usage.

    256 samples – the same settings that won’t kill other hosts …

    #20967

    Zynewave
    Keymaster

    @michi_mak wrote:

    the exact same plug ins with the exact same presets in the exact same project don’t overload other hosts …

    If you want help with diagnosing the problem, then you’ll need to provide more info than that. What plugins? What hosts?

    You could try to pinpoint which plugin causes the high CPU usage. Bypass/remove your plugins one by one, until you find the one that causes the high CPU usage. Once you find the plugin, try changing preset. Etc. etc.

    #20968

    michi_mak
    Participant

    @zynewave wrote:

    What hosts?

    : energyXT ( not multicore enabled ), Live Lite 8, Reaper 4

    @zynewave wrote:

    You could try to pinpoint which plugin causes the high CPU usage. Bypass/remove your plugins one by one, until you find the one that causes the high CPU usage. Once you find the plugin, try changing preset. Etc. etc.

    what do you hope to gain by changing presets?

    atm it seems that Podium suffers from cpu spikes when various plug ins have been changed / added / deleted for some time – but why does Podium use so much more cpu power ( charged by Windows Task Manager ) than say REAPER?

    #20969

    Zynewave
    Keymaster

    @michi_mak wrote:

    what do you hope to gain by changing presets?

    Depending on the plugin, some preset settings may cause a higher CPU load, possibly leading to denormals. If you see 100% usage, then it is most often caused by denormals.

    atm it seems that Podium suffers from cpu spikes when various plug ins have been changed / added / deleted for some time – but why does Podium use so much more cpu power ( charged by Windows Task Manager ) than say REAPER?

    To repeat myself, try to pinpoint which plugin is causing you trouble. When we know that, it will be easier to go from there.

    #20970

    frollo9386
    Participant

    in my experience podium handle cpu very well… so maybe it’s something related to specific vsti issue… worth the effort to check out.

    #20971

    michi_mak
    Participant

    @frollo9386 wrote:

    in my experience podium handle cpu very well… so maybe it’s something related to specific vsti issue… worth the effort to check out.

    the exact same midi files played by the exact same presets of the exact same plug ins and a wav file take up much less cpu in other hosts ( according to Windows Task Manager as kind of judge ) than in Podium – the cpu spikes are just a “side” note…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2020 Zynewave