Topic: 2.23

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
    thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@UncleAge wrote:

btw, what do you use to make the gif’s ?

I record with BB Flashback and do the rest (cropping, frame rate reduction and exporting as GIF) in VirtualDub.

I just noticed today that if audio processing (gain/pan faders) is disabled on child tracks of a VSTi-holding group track (a drum sampler in my case), the pencil tool (or double-clicking with the select tool) will create a MIDI event instead of an audio event as usual… previously, I’ve always created MIDI events on the group track and then moved them over to the child tracks – I wish someone had told me earlier! 😛

koalaboy
    Participant

Another ‘quirk’ I noticed today is with Parameter automation tracks.

I had a couple assigned, and then when I used the ‘selector’ in one, I assumed I could change the parameter that would be automated, keeping the actual data.

Instead, when I selected a parameter, it created a brand new automation track keyed to that parameter.

This could be because I’d deleted the VST and re-assigned it afterwards, but I didn’t expect the selector to create a new entry.

druid
    Participant

@koalaboy wrote:

I had a couple assigned, and then when I used the ‘selector’ in one, I assumed I could change the parameter that would be automated, keeping the actual data.

Instead, when I selected a parameter, it created a brand new automation track keyed to that parameter.

Ah! I think I’d noticed this before but had forgotten, due to my lack of action in the music sector recently (little earlier than recently).

I think this is a bit strange; if you change a “paramter” on the track itself, it makes more sense to swap what parameter that track is adjusting. On the other hand, you’d need an intuitive and easy to reach way to add a parameter track. Perhaps it was decided that this was a good way to add a specific parameter track? Still, I think I’d be more “familiar” with right-clicking on the parent track to add specific parameters, and then changing the parameter track itself would change that specific parameter assignment.

With that said, I’m not sure how often I’d change assignments, because usually if I have a parameter track, it’s because I want to change that one parameter. Also, I use energyXT VST so I use that to map VST parameters to energyXT’s own, meaning I could just load the VST and change the assignment in there (in fact, I’d have to).

Malcolm Jacobson
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

If you truly have problems with lost preset data, then please give me detailed instructions on how to reproduce this.

I haven’t been able to find a reliable repro. It seems to be a random, fairly rare thing. I will put it down to ghosts in the machine.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Ahem… Not really a bug, but a little visual inconsistency, maybe:
    As opposed to other events, the contents of automation events are not colored with the selection text color. Example: red active selection font color – the curve is colored ever so slightly with the track color (green).

Since the automation overhaul, the automation lines may of course be handled a little differently altogether.
    By the way, why is it that pan automation events always display a “ghosted” line at the center position as well as the actual line? :-k

Edit: forgot to mention why this can become a problem!
    If you use darker selection colors with bright text like I like to do, the selected event’s curve can become rather hard to see. And the same happens at the other end of the spectrum too, of course.

This is a bit tricky. The reason the color of the curve is not the same as the color of e.g. note events, is that the curve is global for the track, and not each individual curve sequence. The curve is also drawn on areas where there are no curve sequences, so the curve color cannot be based on the selection state of the curve sequence events. I’ve now changed it so that the color is based on the timeline fill/text colors instead of the track header colors. That makes it stand out more. But it’s difficult to prevent that extreme track event colors may make the curve line hard to see.

The thin base line for pan tracks just show where zero is. You’ll see the same line for pitchbend tracks etc. The purpose is to make it clear whether the automation is actually changing the parameter, or if it is neutral.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

Is it impossible to have the part of a line that’s editable (as in there’s an automation event present) be colored differently than the rest?

@Zynewave wrote:

I’ve now changed it so that the color is based on the timeline fill/text colors instead of the track header colors.

Hmm, which one is it, then? If the line has the same color as timeline text (often white, I’d say), then people who use bright selection fill colors (me included) are going to have a visibility problem instead…

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Is it impossible to have the part of a line that’s editable (as in there’s an automation event present) be colored differently than the rest?

No, but that will require a bit more work than I planned to spend on it for this release. I’ll leave it as it is, and consider it for another release that deals with an update on track events.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

Tiny aesthetics thing: If the track name is longer than the mixer strip is wide and it gets cut off, there is always still a little padding space on the left side, but not on the right.

Great. I’m glad to see it’s working as I intended 😉

How else would you want it to look? I’ve tried cutting the text off with the same border on the right side, but it does not look good when the text is abruptly cut in mid-air.

Only improvement I can think of is to truncate the text and append “…” to indicate the text does not fit. But I think there are a lot of things on my todo list that have higher priority.

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

Are you this far through the bug reports already! 😀

@Zynewave wrote:

How else would you want it to look? I’ve tried cutting the text off with the same border on the right side, but it does not look good when the text is abruptly cut in mid-air.

Yeah, this one – I think it’s only natural that the padding space would be on either side. But maybe it doesn’t look good if a letter’s cut in half indeed, when there’s still space to the right…

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

– Bouncing tracks that have no effects naturally leads to an empty track being created to hold the bounce event. However, this track is still labeled “Effect” (greyed out) in the mixer, even though “use name of device assigned to track” is automatically selected for bounce tracks in the track properties, and thus the track would actually be named “Bounce.”
    It’s a little weird like this – I can’t think of a reason the mixer/rack selectors shouldn’t use the track name setting… Are names on effect tracks even used anywhere at the moment (apart from unhidden effect tracks, which you said are on their way out)?

I’m going to clean that up eventually.

– Is there a reason for the velocity buttons in note editor, point type buttons in curve editor and channel select buttons in sound editor to be aligned to the left instead of to the right?

If they were right-aligned, they would cover the value markings. I don’t think it would look good if they were aligned in the middle just left of the value markings.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

“Sir Bugalot” has another fiendish bug’s head on his lance to serve as trophy on the walls of King Fixalot’s castle! 😆

There’s a selection/key focus problem concerning tempo and marker events.
    In this example GIF (245 KB) I try to select and delete a tempo event with the DEL key on the keyboard whilst different editors have focus.

– First with focus on the arrangement editor – works fine.
    – Then with focus on an “empty” embedded editor – here the tempo/marker event doesn’t become the active selection but still gets deleted, probably since there’s nothing else selected in the empty E.E..
    – Focus on the embedded editor – works fine as well.
    – And lastly, focus on the mixer. The event is not set as the active selection here either, and so it actually deletes the focus track in the mixer instead! :o)

It is on purpose that pressing delete with focus on the mixer will delete the track, even if there is an event selection. What do you recommend should be done: Should delete in the mixer delete any event selection, even though you may be on a mixer profile without a timeline and tracks region? Should clicking in the tempo/marker lanes force focus to the tracks region, removing focus from the mixer/embedded region?

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@koalaboy wrote:

Could the ‘default height’ of a parameter automation track, perhaps be made a little smaller at the default zoom ?

I’m going to revise the way that track heights are handled in a future update. Meanwhile, you can use the “apply track lane height” right-click command to set a default height for all parameter tracks.

Also, when a track is expanded in height, the selectors seem to pop-in in blocks… could they pop-in one at a time as the height allows ?

I don’t think it is a good idea to show a partial effect chain. You would then always be unsure whether the displayed chain is truncated.

Zynewave
    Keymaster

@druid wrote:

@koalaboy wrote:

Ah! I think I’d noticed this before but had forgotten, due to my lack of action in the music sector recently (little earlier than recently).

I think this is a bit strange; if you change a “paramter” on the track itself, it makes more sense to swap what parameter that track is adjusting. On the other hand, you’d need an intuitive and easy to reach way to add a parameter track. Perhaps it was decided that this was a good way to add a specific parameter track? Still, I think I’d be more “familiar” with right-clicking on the parent track to add specific parameters, and then changing the parameter track itself would change that specific parameter assignment.

With that said, I’m not sure how often I’d change assignments, because usually if I have a parameter track, it’s because I want to change that one parameter. Also, I use energyXT VST so I use that to map VST parameters to energyXT’s own, meaning I could just load the VST and change the assignment in there (in fact, I’d have to).

I made the parameter selector create new tracks, because I reasoned that you would more frequently need to create new parameter tracks than reassign a parameter to an exisiting automation track.

Do others have an opinion on whether the parameter selector should create new parameter tracks, or reassign the parameter to the existing parameter track?

kyran
    Participant

I’m good with creating new ones

thcilnnahoj
    Participant

@Zynewave wrote:

– Is there a reason for the velocity buttons in note editor, point type buttons in curve editor and channel select buttons in sound editor to be aligned to the left instead of to the right?

If they were right-aligned, they would cover the value markings. I don’t think it would look good if they were aligned in the middle just left of the value markings.

I always think those buttons look a little lost in the embedded editors compared to the windowed ones. Of course the buttons shouldn’t overlap the values numbers. It’s only a suggestion… I can never know if it’d turn out to be a success! 😉

@Zynewave wrote:

@thcilnnahoj wrote:

“Sir Bugalot” has another fiendish bug’s head on his lance to serve as trophy on the walls of King Fixalot’s castle! 😆

There’s a selection/key focus problem concerning tempo and marker events.
    In this example GIF (245 KB) I try to select and delete a tempo event with the DEL key on the keyboard whilst different editors have focus.

– First with focus on the arrangement editor – works fine.
    – Then with focus on an “empty” embedded editor – here the tempo/marker event doesn’t become the active selection but still gets deleted, probably since there’s nothing else selected in the empty E.E..
    – Focus on the embedded editor – works fine as well.
    – And lastly, focus on the mixer. The event is not set as the active selection here either, and so it actually deletes the focus track in the mixer instead! :o)

It is on purpose that pressing delete with focus on the mixer will delete the track, even if there is an event selection. What do you recommend should be done: Should delete in the mixer delete any event selection, even though you may be on a mixer profile without a timeline and tracks region? Should clicking in the tempo/marker lanes force focus to the tracks region, removing focus from the mixer/embedded region?

Not sure I understand… Selecting any event (audio, MIDI, automation) while the mixer has focus will always set focus to the arrangement and make the event the active selection, like the embedded editor does in the GIF. It does this even if there’s an active selection in the embedded editor – this will become inactive until the editor has focus again. The actively selected mixer region only does not set tempo or marker events as active selection unlike it does with other events.
    So as long as the mixer region has focus, it should of course delete the focus track. But selecting any kind of event outside the mixer (be it only on the timeline or marker regions) should set active selection to the event.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • The topic ‘2.23’ is closed to new replies.
© 2021 Zynewave